Never Extinct (Lemmings Remix)

This is my first ever game remix and only the the second ever piece i've made in midi. I'm still not even close to good with FL Studio but practice makes perfect. It's a remix of the Miners and Climbers stage music from Lemmings. I know part of the guitar solo sounds pretty rough. I was finding it hard to get a good sound from the fast played notes. If anyone can tell me some ways to make it sound better i'd appreciate it. Right now i'd say it sounds better through headphones than speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bxKdG_Kz3c

There's a download link in the description. Youtube lowered the quality a little bit.

Lemmings! It's one of my favorite game soundtracks.

This doesn't sound too bad at all for a first mix. You have some nice synth work going on, even if it's a little plain. The first thing I'd concentrate on is working with the individual sounds a little more. The synths right now are a little bit bland, it would be nice if you made them a little more distinctive from each other - filtering, chorus, flange, that kind of stuff can make a big difference. Also they are a bit muddy - some EQing work would help separate the sounds a little bit. I honestly don't think the guitar sound is too bad, but you might want to consider using a different, distorted synth sound in place of it if it bugs you too much.

Around 1:29 I think you got a note or two wrong from the original, but it's been awhile since I've heard it, so I'm not positive of that. That vibe sound is really plain and exposed - I really would try a different sound there, or at least some more processing on it to make it more interesting.

I didn't think the guitar solo was too bad. Protricity and other people have done great stuff with fake guitar - and while it doesn't sound necessarily realistic it can still sound really cool.

So, from the technical end, some more processing and EQing would really help things. On the arrangement end, I like that guitar solo a lot, but there isn't a whole lot interesting happening outside of that. If you want to sub it to OCR you need to develop a bit more on the original. Some people may disagree with me here but I don't like to think of what I'm doing as just "a trance mix" or "a (whatever genre) mix". Try to avoid being generic and doing things in a predictable way, if you can. Take what you like about the original and think about how to shape it into a piece that has its own character, if that makes sense. I also think you could do a bit more with the percussion - some layering of different drum samples/patterns would really help things, even if you don't have a super complex part.

This is pretty solid work, especially for a first mix. Keep at it!