*NO* Zelda 2 'Anjuna Temple'

Palpable

ReMixer: Hollidayrain

Name: Sreyas Krishnan

E-mail: sreyaskr@msn.com

ReMix title: "Anjuna Temple" ()

Game: Zelda II

Song: Temple Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4toSsRV4lc)

Platform: NES

Based on the title, you can probably guess that this remix is either: 1) Full-on psy (which would probably really popular in Anjuna, lol), or 2) Progressive trance (Anjunabeats n such). I can tell you this, when I first started this thing, I thought for sure I'd go full-on psy, but in the end, I was too intrigued with the possibilities in the progressive trance realm. Opposite to Breakout, which takes a bubbly tune and moves it into a minor key, this one takes the brooding Hyrule Temple theme and makes it an uplifting melody. This is especially notable in the 'B' part of the melody (0:16 on the youtube) and in the other part at 2:24 or so.

Enjoy guys!

---------------------------------------------------------------

The mix is a bit dark. Especially for a genre like this, you really want to brighten up those leads, and leave space in the midrange for those pads. Also, for a song like this, you really need variety in spatial treatment. Everything here has reverb on it, which turns into a wash. Make some things really dry and punchy. When the style is repetitive, you need to rely a bit more on sonics to capture listener interest.

On the arrangement end, I like the melodic treatment, although a bit too often I feel the relationship to the source is a bit tenuous. I'd seriously consider making the arrangement more dynamic as well. There aren't lots of captivating transitions which makes it a bit repetitive.

NO

I don't think I can sum this up better than what Jesse just said. This could really use some brightening up to let it shine more, and really show the contrast from the original. Unlike Vig, I had no problem hearing he original in this, and I think the arrangement is pretty good for the genre.

Going back to the contrasts, Jesse's right again (he's going to have a big head after this) that you could really stand to get some contrasts in your sounds, like having some dry stuff that can really cut against the more reverbed stuff you have now. I'd like to hear more on the dynamic end of things, having some louder and softer sections, with bigger crescendos/decrescendos between them.

I think this is on the right track, take another look at it to improve it and I'd like to hear it again. NO (resubmit)

Jesse's really right on the money here. It's a great base for a track but it needs some work in several areas. The soundscape is very bass-heavy and the lack of high end and abundance of reverb makes it way more cluttered than it could be. You have a lot of interesting things going on arrangement wise but even more melodic variation and especially some changes in pace (more dynamic drop-offs) would help a lot.

Lastly I would really love to hear some squeky, high-end FM-style synths to really make this shine. I know Infected Mushroom are frowned upon by real psytrance fans but even classic stuff like Hallucinogen and Man With No Name manages to hit that balance in the soundfield.

Overall this shows promise but you need to polish it up a bit more. Variation and balance are the key words we're looking for right now. Keep up the good work!

NO(resubmit)