Kyle Condon

kylethedarkn@gmail.com

N/A

Submission Information

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Hidden Village

Already on Site

Already on Site

This started out as a remix of a remix I had done of Hidden Village a long time ago. However, I couldn't find the project file of my old remix, so I started completely from scratch with this one. I think it incorporates almost everything I've learned while making music in Fruity Loops, and is also quite catchy in my opinion. Originally I was not going to submit this to OCRemix because of the caliber of songs they accepted I thought were out of my league, but after seeing how well it turned out and several nudges from friends both in real life and online I've decided to submit it. This is my first submission and if accepted would be one of only two songs remixed from Twilight Princess.

The Rest Of The Info Is In The ID3 Tags, :P

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hidden Village

Cool source tune, and a decent treatment of the theme. It starts out a little slow, but is definitely catchy and charming.

Production seemed balanced enough, though a lot of the sequencing was mechanical and some of the sounds used were pretty bland. You did add some effects and stuff to some of them, which did help, but a lot of the lead lines didn't have any vibrato to them, which is a subtle but important detail that is important to add.

Arrangement wise, a lot of elements built gradually, but were pretty straightforward, like the piano chords early on. It's a viable tactic, but it needed to be a little more involved than a cool rhythm with some blocked out chords. Adding some chord inversions would have made it more interesting.

Overall this is a pretty solid foundation, but it needs a bit more to make it on OCR. I'm happy your friends encouraged you to submit this, so you can get some advice on improving your game further. I'm sure the other judges will have some additional advice you can use. :-)

no, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Right from the get-go, the sequencing is plain and rigid, especially the piano, which sounds quite fake. 1:03 was a turning point where it started to come into its own as a mix. I liked the combination of instruments there and the new writing, but I noticed the backing patterns were patterny and the lead still stuck to the original exactly. The gated section that followed was again pretty easy to predict and from there to the end, it didn't feel like there were new ideas. What you have is a good base, but this needs to have more to it from a macro (overall song) and micro (details and articulations) perspective. Also, you can totally pump that kick higher.

NO (resubmit)

Definitely not a bad first try, let me just say that! However there are some problems here, most have been pointed out too. My main issue is the quality of the sounds and sequencing. The first sound introduced just sounds really flat and dull for a synth sound. The piano is robotically sequenced too and the pan flute synth again sounds very flat and dull.

The arrangement definitely could've gone further in changing up the source, especially since the melody's kept intact pretty much all the way through. The backing patterns are also very repetitive, try switching stuff up to add some variation!

NO