SUBMITTED: NiGHTS - Celestial Entrance

Hi.

I submitted this in late January, which means it should just about be hitting the lower intestine now. It's called Celestial Entrance (hint: there's the link) and it's based on Gate of your Dreams from NiGHTS: Into Dreams. Here's the source:

I am posting it here several months after submitting it primarily due to Emunator recommending it. I think it's a little conservative, especially for the first 50% of the song, but it makes up for that by shuffling the bassline a bit and throwing in a guitar solo, meanwhile still retaining the melody of the song which plays the entire time but is a little buried (you hear it very clearly at the end).

It has a lot of hand drums, including a couple weird ones like handheld mini-wedding bells and a coffee can. The bells are also scratched together for that funky Beck type noise.

I'm really hoping this passes the panel. I put a lot of heart into this song and I always find it kind of emotionally moving. x_x

I still don't think this mix is super-conservative - in fact I'm having a hard time picking out the source here. I personally wish the most dominant melody from the original (the one that you brought in at the very end of the song) was more prevalent just because that's the melody that I associate with this source.

That said, this is your best remix, in my personal opinion. The ambiance is just right and the drumloops really complement it great. What really pushes this one over the edge is the tone of the guitar you used in the solo - it's very reminiscent of the stuff that Skrypnyk used in his album Suburbia which is one of my favorite ambient albums. You captured that essence beautifully even though I'm pretty sure you weren't directly trying to emulate that style ;-)

I think you could take a few pointers from this remix and apply it to your other songs; there's times where I feel like you're picking overly generic synths for your electronic songs but I don't feel like you fell into that pitfall in this case. All the sounds mesh well and it all sounds fresh and unique. I'd like to see more of that incorporated into future songs by you!

In short, niiiice work :-) Love this one a lot!