Please check out my friend's remixes :D

I have a friend who has made several video game music remixes. I don't think a lot of people have heard the stuff so I was hoping maybe some of you would like to check it out.

I let him host his site on my domain and I hope you don't mind if I post the link to his web page where you can download each track. http://www.vertigofx.com/jrkstudios/

I think his stuff is really great, and I hope he keeps making more. Let me know what you think. I'm sure he'd love feedback. :razz:

Hmm... why don't you tell your friend about this site and have him submit the music himself? I'm sure you have his permission to post his music on here and all (and if you don't... well, shame on you :|), but it's awkward talking about mixes to a third party.

Only listening to one mix from there (there used to be a sticky explaining there should only be one song per post, but it's not up there, atm... basically, most people don't have the patience/time to listen to & critique more than one at a time). Zelda Darkworld.

The cover isn't a bad one, really (He obviously didn't write it for OCR). The soundscape changes enough to keep me interested through the song, and it has some interesting things happening in the drums & harmonies. One of the issues with it that I hear, though, is the sample quality. Granted, this was written a while ago and may not be an issue anymore, but the guitar, synths, etc. sound very low-fi. The arrangement makes up for it, for the most part, but this song could have been much better with better sounds.

Yeah, your friend is welcome to post his stuff on here - always room for one more mixer on here. Bring him/her in!

Thanks! Y'know, I think he might just have difficulty finding good quality samples or kits. He actually mentioned to me today that he couldn't seem to find good acoustic drum sounds and asked me if I could help.

I don't think he thinks he is "good enough" to post his stuff here, but I know he is. I think his arrangements are amazing. I listened to Laboratory for the first time today (it's a Dr Mario remix) and I loved it. He had said that he considered uploading an album here before, but I guess that's as far as it got.

Thanks for your reply! I hope he does post his stuff here and get more feedback from you guys.

I'm a sort of amateur game designer and I told him I want him to make music for my next game. Wooooo

Hi

I am that "friend" in question. While vertigo didn't really directly ask me if he could publish the link to my remixes here, I'm perfectly fine with it (he sent me the link right after posting it). After all, why else would I upload my remixes for the public if not for them to listen to them?

I've known about OCRemix for a few years already. The reason I never signed up here or uploaded anything was - as vertigo mentioned - I never deemed myself good enough to think my remixes would be accepted here.

Honestly, listen to my first remixes back from 2008 when I still haven't been that deep in the music business - they were just bad quality remakes of the original songs with different soundfonts. But I had fun with it, so I continued. I guess I improved a little with time.

A few months ago I did consider uploading my newest remix - Midnight Dance of the Graven Lemmings - here, but its filesize was too big by a few hundred KB so I just let it be :-P

Won't be able to listen to that track again for a few days (I did give it a quick glance, to see if the sample issue continued to your latest track - not as much, but there were hints of it there, if I recall) because the comp I'm using is silent + I can't get on for a few days due to a move I'm juggling. However, I encourage posting it on here on it's own and getting some feedback on it from people here who know the ins & outs of the good ol' OCR Judge system - it's relatively tailored to a particular sound, so even though the track was really good (the parts I heard were, in fact, great) it might not pass due to a clash of the mindset of OCR (too liberal/too conservative, for example). I really recommend it, in fact - put it up here and hear what we WIP-ites have to say about it really quick before subbing it (I would give you my detailed analysis of it, now, but I'm rather limited on my comp, atm).

If it's above 8mbs by that little, 96kbps is an acceptable quality on OCR, so you can reduce it to that bitrate, if the track can't be reduced anymore (or a VBR that fluxuates on the lower end of the spectrum), as long as you still have the lossless format of it (WAV, FLAC, etc.) or have the project file. I'm sure that would bring it within the limits of OCR.

Yeah, send it over here real quick (in a new thread, preferably, for that track) and see if there are any quick fixes it may need, or to realize it's a great track and should simply be submitted to OCR, as is (with the reduction in quality, as I suggested). Also, be sure to remember to follow the other guidelines, too (44.1khz, not 48.0; nothing below 96kbps, etc.) - I think it's a feasible track, though, with great production, from the little that I heard of it.