Dragon Quest Monters (GBC) - Overworld

Ex.

Hello all! This is my second WIP submission (the first can be found here). I like bouncing between two projects to get the juices.....juicing. I kind of chose an obscure choice for this one. Essentially, its a metal orchestral arrangement of the Overworld theme for Dragon Quest Monsters. It started out as an all orchestral instrumental with a male choir, but I somehow got sidetracked. Strings, wind, brass, guitar, bass, harp, piano, and of courses drums are all present. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the direction I went. Things I plan to improve on:

* Extending the beginning. I go into the main rhythm a little too fast for my taste and the transition is very awkward.

* The second half of the song is essentially a huge loop of the first half. I plan to humanize the guitar and perhaps put some improv in there to help keep the rest of it fresh. The drums are altered in some places but the majority of it is the same as the first half. I also intend on putting a short piano solo at the end to round things out.

* Make the crescendo sound more......crescendo-ey. Only thing that gets the tension across is the cymbal crashes. One of the targets for my guitar improv.

All in all, I have a lot to do before I can even hope to get this submission worthy, but I don't think its too bad of a start. Original source can be found here.

stats.png

No replies? :puppyeyes:

Mmhokay, lets see here.

They heavy cymbal crashes are sorta overpowering, at the very beginning, drowning out the melody there.

@ 1:01 I'm not sure what's going on with the guitar here, but it's, uh, stuttery. Then the synth is at 1:25. Which is very odd. If it's an effect, it's very much too extreme for my taste.

Yeah, you gotta fix the above thing. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, I can't listen to anything else in this without focusing on that :banghead: Then I'll have a go at this.

I don't know the source tune at all, but it sounds like you did pretty well.

I would agree that the cymbals are very overpowering throughout the entire song. And you also might want to watch the tremolo on the guitar. It can get distracting at times. I would record one guitar that just has some distortion on it (maybe even some chorus), and then record a separate track where the guitar comes in on the big crescendo with some tremolo (am I making sense here?).

I would also use some higher pitched strings for an added crescendo. They could be very well placed if they play along with the melody.

Anyways, good track. Can't wait to hear the finished product :)