The Man With the Machine Gun: FFVIII

mirev

i can't believe it's not techno!

so yeah, this is a pretty interesting take on the source here in terms of style, albeit still rather conservative. some of the part-writing actually seems a little 'overhumanized' to me, and there are a few sour notes in the arrangement. the soundscape is pretty thin as well, there's definitely room for some lush background chords or something.

the sampled wind instruments are all over the map in terms of quality, but the one problem the all share is mechanical attack/release. try tweaking (or even automating :wink:) the ASDR values on your samples and see if you can't get a more fluid sound.

i really like the idea and style of this mix, but it has a bit of a ways to go in terms of production, and the arrangement needs to go more places. there are some good variations, but there's not a lot of momentum or build to keep the listener interested. you have some great creative ideas, so keep at it! :D

If only I knew how to do this in Cubase.

So, I guess I've got enough input for now. I'm placing this project on hold for the time being, I'll come back with a release in a week or so.