The Beat of War (Nell's Theme: Advance Wars)

this sounds quite similar to the original with less heavy guitar sounds. So perhaps thing about mixing it up instrumentation-wise as well. The arrangement is also pretty similar. The original basically has 2 sections, perhaps think about adding a third or some kind of breakdown either with just drums or a new bass-line?

The whole song kind of seems to be a big (MIDI) guitar solo, I was going to suggest a guitar solo or maybe a solo of another kind, but hmm...

You should definitely think about adding some harmonies to the main melody, perhaps a third above or using the pentatonic scale, as this song does much!

You could think about throwing round the melody to different instruments or changing up the dynamics/productions to give it a sense of direction.

The ending seems to be just the second section and you've just stopped it after that ends. Maybe think about adding in an endind, like a guitar line on it's own and then a big HIT of a chord! or a new riff for a little bit! I don't know, those are just ideas.

This is definitely a good start but I'd say arrangement-wise it's still a work in progress.

Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaay! An Advance Wars remix! Awww... it's a MIDI rip.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but have you downloaded a MIDI file and then slowed down the tempo and changed the instruments? If you have, there's no chance you'll get posted on OCR. If you haven't, you have a great ear and need to work on your arranging!

Seriously though, I'd suggest reading lots of tutorials on the forums, and when you approach a remix, try to have a clear idea of a direction you want to take it, rather than trying to copy the original as closely as possible. Start with those basics and you'll be doing fine.