Undefeatable Mood (SMW2: Yoshi's Island - Powerful Infant)

Phytopep

Here's my take so far on Koji Kondo's 24-year-old invincibility theme:

Undefeatable-Mood-Demo-5.mp3

The version I used for inspiration is mostly SMW2: Yoshi's Island - Powerful Infant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wbX3lqbcfE

I also took a few ideas from a new opening added in Super Paper Mario - An Unrivaled Battle:

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I think production seems to be the main problem with this one. The acoustic guitar sticks out as sounding very midi. The piano does at times too. Theres some nice creative ideas though, such as the use of the vibraphone, and you developed the bass line at parts too. Is that an oboe or clarinet by the way?

Well its a good start, you just need to practice making some of the instruments sound more real. Either find some better samples, or try using humanization techniques.

Thanks for the feedback.

My brilliant idea of using sampled instruments instead of synths for my first song turned out to be more of a challenge than I thought.

For the guitar, I attempted to offset the notes to "strum" them, and to increase the strummed gap when the pauses come up, but my guess is I didn't get it real enough. Since I won't be playing an actual guitar any time soon, I either have to improve my sequencing, or look into a better VSTi like MusicLab's RealGuitar. (Or not use a guitar?)

I went back and forth on how much to humanize, since the original song's timing is so particular and repetitive. I'll revisit the piano to see if I can improve it.

It is an oboe. I like how it can stand out, but that also puts more pressure on it to sound right. Hopefully I'm not not destroying it too badly?

If anyone has more feedback, I'd love to hear it.