Donkey Kong Country 2 - Mining Melancholy Trance Remix

emkorg

Some basic but ok trance, written long. Seems like you're mostly just using the lead melody, tho it's been a while since I listened to the source, so there may be others layered in there. If there aren't, you should probably add them.

Production feels a bit weak and raw, especially the clap when exposed, but can't tell much about the rest with this setup. Only the synth seem to occupy any space other than center, you could spread hihat and crashes. Bass would be stronger if it's mono (some ppl mix that way for that reason) and its echoes could have the lows filtered out more so they don't interfere with the low lows.

It's way too late at night for me to give you anything more detailed. Get us a wip in mp3 form next update/track, it's easier to listen close to. It's a cool track, worth fixing up whether or not you want it on ocr. :D

Thanks for the thoughts Roz.

In regards to the melody there is another layer towards the beginning of the track which ive adapted from the original source. So its not just the main melody tune that i've dumped in there. Basically this is my very fist serious offering since i began using Live to produce. So there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in regards to final mix 'n master session.

First of all, let me say that this great. I would say that if you were not looking for this track to make it to OCR, I wouldn't really have any comments. This sounds like an oldschool trance tune.

However, if your intention is to submit, there is quite a bit of work to be done. Your synths are almost there. The leads just need to be made a little fuller and perhaps you need to add a little bit of movement to make the lead more interesting. Your bass sound is too lo-fi, so that will need to be fixed. Kick drum needs to have a lot more presence. Clap needs some layering and extra processing. In general, drums need some additional percussive elements to spice them up a bit - 4/4 with only basic elements gets boring after a while and is frowned up by the judges here. To be fair, most modern trance producers to take the extra effort to have more than just kick, a pair of hihats, and a clap in their tracks when it comes to percussion. And personally, I would like to hear a bit more compression.

Can't comment on arrangement as I am not familiar with the source.