Newb FL user

Skye McCloud

Recently got FL after years of wanting to do so. But since I'm new to remixing, and most music terms all together, I'm having some difficulties with it.

Following Zircon's guide, I found a MIDI file of the song I wanted to remix (It's more just a cover right now), opened it up, did all the fun stuff of getting what I wanted. Now I'm trying to export it into MP3, but I'm having two issues:

1. With all my changes, the track's length is about 20-30 seconds shorter than what my file is allowing me. However, I have absolutely NO clue how to shorten the track length to match what I have. I'm fairly certain it's been under my nose the whole time and I've gone blind, but please! Someone tell me how I can change the track length to match!

2. When the MP3 exports, it's incredibly quiet, much more so than the music was when I was working in Fruity Loops. Again, since I'm stupidly new to both FL and remixing, I've next to no idea what I'm doing or how stuff works. How can I adjust the volume for when it's exported?

And that's it for my newbness for now.

1. You write more stuff? What do you mean by "track length"? If you're talking about how fast it's going, the tempo meter is up top next to the record button labeled "BPM". If you mean the track isn't long enough, just add more stuff to it? I'm not sure what you're asking.

2. If you're using the "primary sound driver", the music will end up being quieter in the mp3 export. Switch the drivers to ASIO drivers in the Options > Audio Settings window.

Sorry, poor wording on my part. It's not that I need a longer track length, I need a shorter one. The track length is about 2:30 for actual playing music, but the total track length is something like 2:50. This leaves about 20 seconds of nothing at the end of my track. I'm trying to remove that 20 seconds of no sound and make the track end sooner. I would've thought it would happen automatically, as it does so when I add more, but it's not.

And thanks, changing the drivers worked, so the export came out fine.

Sorry, poor wording on my part. It's not that I need a longer track length, I need a shorter one. The track length is about 2:30 for actual playing music, but the total track length is something like 2:50. This leaves about 20 seconds of nothing at the end of my track. I'm trying to remove that 20 seconds of no sound and make the track end sooner. I would've thought it would happen automatically, as it does so when I add more, but it's not.

And thanks, changing the drivers worked, so the export came out fine.

Make sure there's nothing written after the 2:30 mark. Also, make sure there is no loop marker (the play button image that sits under the measure count) and make sure your track pattern isn't extended that far out. Basically, just look in your playlist/piano roll to see if there's anything there at the 2:50.

Make sure there's nothing written after the 2:30 mark. Also, make sure there is no loop marker (the play button image that sits under the measure count) and make sure your track pattern isn't extended that far out. Basically, just look in your playlist/piano roll to see if there's anything there at the 2:50.

I took a look for anything written after the 2:30 mark. There is nothing there (I had checked a few times for this and never found anything). However, when I saw you mentioned playlist, it had reminded me of a tutorial I had seen that started using the playlist (The first few tutorials I saw basically made the songs in a single pattern. I was foolishly doing this, and was confused with the whole playlist thing). It seemed the original pattern was extended further, based on the original length of the MIDI I used, but I couldn't shrink it. So I split my one pattern into proper patterns and removed any need for the original pattern, which has fixed it. Thank you once again. :) Now I really feel like a newb!