Gundam Wing: Endless Duel - Heavyarms (FM Driver)

Catspaw

Hey guys, this is my first remix for the site, I hope I'm setting his up write. This is an arrangement of the Heavy Arms theme from Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (SNES) I submitted this for judging back in the summer and unfortunately just got the rejection notice on account of the remix being to repetitive and not different enough form the source material. Frankly though I'm at a loss as to how I can fix that. At this point all I can really come up with is shorting the intro from 4 bars to 2. And in my humble (biased) opinion the instrumentation/orchestration of the piece is pretty different from the original....

Any suggestions/comments/tips? Thanks!

Link to FM Driver Remix

Why do ppl keep moving stuff to finished and still want to hear how they can fix it? :P

Oh, GarageBand? Or a GB instrument in Logic? I recognize that filter-swept vox thingy.

Changing the instrumentation doesn't really count unless it's significantly adapted for the new instrumentation. You'll need more than a different sound to get something past the judges. :P You could alter the sound somewhat tho, when I quickly skip forth and back, I can't tell the beginning from the middle or end, soundwise, so some gradual changes in instrumentation or just some synth parameter automation or something could give it more of a sense of variation without screwing too much with what you've got. That is, if you don't have to screw with it.

Arrangement seems to me like repetition with addition, which doesn't make for a very interesting track. Changing up the rhythms (like taking the drums and bass to double-time or something) would help. The breakdown is a nice change in dynamics, but sticks to the same pace, rhythm, and chords. Changing up the chords would also let you vary it more, but that might actually be harder to do in a way that fits the source and what you've done with it than changing rhythm.

Careful with the mixing, your distorted... thing, is too loud, and once you drop its volume a bit you might hear some other sounds that need mixing edits.

Not bad. Source is there, has a decent sound, something of a groove, works for me. More fixes needed tho, keep it up. :D