Brinstar Tripping

Giblodyte

This is just a little ditty I whipped up today, it's a lo-fi psychedelic/minimal wave(ish) kinda rendition of Brinstar (red soil). It wasn't easy making super metroid even darker and lonelier but I gave it a pretty good shot. I sincerely doubt there are very many remixes like it on this site and therefore I doubt many of you will like or get it but any feedback is welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/annelid/annelid-brinstar-tripping

I kinda imagine it'd be what it was like if Samus stopped shooting all them metroids for a while and just sat down and ate some brinstar mushies with those animal friends that teach her how to shinepark.

659219-brinstar_super.png

Oh yeah and I should mention a bit about the recording process,

Recorded on an 8 track cassette tape machine, had to turn dbx noise cancellation on so it does some weird compressing things with the drum sounds sometimes.

I put delay on literally everything some things got extreme delay others subtle.

The drums are a briefcase and a plastic toolbox covered with a beach towel and they actually sound amazing dry without any effects (recorded with an sm57)

Synth is a roland RS-09

It is a bit too plain and indynamic. Some cool sounds but arrangement-wise nothing creative is really done. And the pads coming in half-way were going on way long and I was expecting the pads to be some sort of build up to something a bit more progressive. Shorten the first part of the song a bit and make that a chill trippyish intro and then go into something more prog. psychedelic imo. This is a bit too boring I'm afraid.

And the pads coming in half-way were going on way long and I was expecting the pads to be some sort of build up to something a bit more progressive.

There don't always need to be drops :P

To give you an idea this one of my main influences:

but I do agree it kinda does drag along a bit... maybe I should start the pads earlier lol.

Yeah sure but something needs to happen. Either a drop into something more progressive or some creative ambience stuff preferably accompaigned by some percussion as well for some drive at least. Having the same energy level throughout works for very few songs and puts high demand on sound design and creative ingredients.

The track you linked to... I can see the influence. I don't like it either :P. It's a weird piece of soundwaves from -79

I really like the understated intensity of this, but I do wish you had done a little more with the melody. I think my issue with it is that the flowing psychedelic part took up more than half the song. I would have preferred to see you sink your teeth into the melody a bit more and then spend as much time as you want with the awesome ambiance. Overall, I do love the mood you created.

• 1 month later...
I really like the understated intensity of this, but I do wish you had done a little more with the melody. I think my issue with it is that the flowing psychedelic part took up more than half the song. I would have preferred to see you sink your teeth into the melody a bit more and then spend as much time as you want with the awesome ambiance. Overall, I do love the mood you created.

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with you I'll probably re-do it and try and get a better structure and improve the recording quality too. I'm pretty poor at arranging and creating structure with things I create.