Is Making music off a Audio interface bad?

Im not using an interface ATM, and i was wondering would there be and sond diffrence if I was using one, mainly for electronica making, vst plugins and one hardsynth.

and would it be less laggy on my Daw/pc when im using lots off effects to make music

heres one song i did off interface http://soundcloud.com/aires/electric-movment

There's nothing bad if you keep all sources inside of your computer. The problem with cheap soundcards are:

- lack of dedicated drivers means latency, so yeah, the lagginess would be solved, but then again, try ASIO4ALL

- the inputs (A/D conversion) are generally of a lower quality

- the outputs (D/A conversion) are generally of a lower quality

- the inputs and ouptuts both don't come in industry-standard sizes (stereo mini jack is not industry standard)

- there aren't enough of 'm (with a bit of luck you get 6 outputs for surround and perhaps an S/PDIF one - and only 2 inputs, one of which is pretty useless

- on-board cards may suffer from electrical interference from your computer's insides, while outboard can be (somewhat) isolated from that

- insufficient support of higher sampling rates

The first may be solved by ASIO4ALL, all the last ones won't.

There's nothing bad if you keep all sources inside of your computer. The problem with cheap soundcards are:

- lack of dedicated drivers means latency, so yeah, the lagginess would be solved, but then again, try ASIO4ALL

- the inputs (A/D conversion) are generally of a lower quality

- the outputs (D/A conversion) are generally of a lower quality

- the inputs and ouptuts both don't come in industry-standard sizes (stereo mini jack is not industry standard)

- there aren't enough of 'm (with a bit of luck you get 6 outputs for surround and perhaps an S/PDIF one - and only 2 inputs, one of which is pretty useless

- on-board cards may suffer from electrical interference from your computer's insides, while outboard can be (somewhat) isolated from that

- insufficient support of higher sampling rates

The first may be solved by ASIO4ALL, all the last ones won't.

i do use Asio4ALL, it came with my broken cheap interface i got in 05:P

Is the M audio fast track Pro a good interface? im saving for a new guitar and im thinking of buying it with the fast track pro or the fast track pro rack, or are there any good interfaces good for recording instruments/guitar?

If you get an audio interface with more efficient ASIO drivers than ASIO4ALL, yes, you can run more stuff at once. But just for clarification:

The reason you buy one is to get inputs and outputs, not for better processing. If you want better processing, the best way to get monster results is to upgrade your processor or RAM (or both). Getting a better soundcard will make a noticeable difference (esp. if it has on board DSP), but not as much as upgrading your processor (or RAM if that's a bottleneck for samples).

If you get an audio interface with more efficient ASIO drivers than ASIO4ALL, yes, you can run more stuff at once. But just for clarification:

The reason you buy one is to get inputs and outputs, not for better processing. If you want better processing, the best way to get monster results is to upgrade your processor or RAM (or both). Getting a better soundcard will make a noticeable difference (esp. if it has on board DSP), but not as much as upgrading your processor (or RAM if that's a bottleneck for samples).

i see know, i have 4gb if that good.

Not to steal your topic haha.. but I've been looking to get some hardware for Christmas

Right now I have Reason 5, Cubase, and Kontakt on my computer. I also have an electric violin.

What would you guys recommend me to get hardware wise? I was thinking maybe an interface and a mic to mess with. What interfaces are good.. more specifically what should I be looking for and at what cost?

Well right now I would imagine two inputs being enough.

I'm not sure how many outputs I need.. I don't have monitors or anything yet.. just plain computer speakers.

I have a Laptop (quad core, 6gb ram, 5400 rpm hard drive) with USB.

And budget.. I am looking for something around $100-300 but I am more so concerned with getting the most out of my money so I might consider something outside of that price range.

In the future I hope to record drums. Should I settle now for an interface with fewer inputs and upgrade in the future, or should I buy a more expensive one now? I should probably get monitors too...

[edit - update]

soo I think I am going to get a Digidesign MBOX2 mini for an interface

and the AT2021+AT2020 condenser mic package.

Might through in a SM57 there too maybe.

Does anybody have any better suggestions? I'm looking at about the price range of $300-400 for total expenditures

Sorry to bump this but I think I've found the answer to most of my questions though I just thought of another that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

I was planning on getting the MBOX2 Mini but then I realized it didn't have MIDI input and outputs. I do have a MIDI keyboard. Should I find an interface that does have midi in/out? Will it have a big impact?

Sorry to bump this but I think I've found the answer to most of my questions though I just thought of another that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

I was planning on getting the MBOX2 Mini but then I realized it didn't have MIDI input and outputs. I do have a MIDI keyboard. Should I find an interface that does have midi in/out? Will it have a big impact?

yes , usb and firewire have recording lathency, midi is lag free i think depending on your interface.

yes , usb and firewire have recording lathency, midi is lag free i think depending on your interface.

I use USB keyboard, and I haven't noticed any lag, unless I am using the Microsoft GS Wavetable MIDI interface.

I just let my DAW run the MIDI, not the Microsoft GS.