laptop and music production

mickomoo

I'm looking into getting a comp, and I'm not quite sure what specs would be the minimum if I wanted to run a DAW and produce music on it. Currently I'm looking into comps w/ i5 processors and about 4-8 gigs of ram... either that or something in the neighborhood of a price of 500-700 dollars. I'm not quite sure yet.

I'm not really intending to run anything huge. I'll probably be using mixcraft (window's "version of grarageband") and maybe some some samples from NI's komplete as well as some 3rd party vsts. Anyone know where or how I should go about looking for a satisfactory laptop?

An i5 with 4 gigs is probably sufficient unless you're doing really large scale orchestra mockups. Maybe bump it to 8 gigs if you're still concerned about the specs.

Yeah I run a lappy with Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM and I rarely have issues unless I am running multiple instances really demanding stuff like Guitar Rig and such.

you shouldn't have any concerns, really, other than possible firewire issues if you don't have an expresscard slot. that's the main reason i picked out my dell studio i5 a few weeks back - it has an expresscard slot for a SIIG FW card!

if you're running a dual-core or better proc and have a couple gigs of RAM, you should be fine. my current system is an i5, 4GB of RAM, 500GB 7200rpm internal drive. i've got pt9, sonar x1 and reaper 3 installed, plus just about every software instrument from NI, MOTU and vir2, waves plat, some soundtoys stuff. i have zero issues with 48-track projects, running multiple compressors and reverbs and effects on each track and on several busses and the master, all at 24/44.1.

get the lappy and get to work! :)