Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Inspired Original Composition

DoubleJoeSeven

Hey there everyone. I am new here. This is probably my best work so far that I have done with FL Studio. It is called Time in the Mysterious Dungeon. It was inspired by the Primal Dialga battle theme from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2. Constructive criticism accepted.

:-)

http://tindeck.com/listen/imoq

*This a remix apparently, no an OC. Pardon-moi.

I think starting off with those string attacks are great, but the abrupt entering of the rest of the strings kinda startled me. Try to add some buildup, like an additional timpani roll before the phrase, or reverse cymbal, or both. A song as graceful as this should have nice smooth transitions, that build and fade, as opposed to starting right up.

The E, B, A, B strings is repeated too much in the same rhythm, imo, which 'cages' the song, if you know what I mean. . .it prevents it from going anywhere else. I think if you were to change up that rhythm a little bit, or change octaves with it once in a while (or both), you would give the song a lot more room to sway. Variety is key (especially for OCR :D).

The french horn that comes in seems a little weird with the reverb, not sure if there's just too much, or maybe it's just me, haha. . . in any event I would lower the EQ in the high range in that particular instrument just a LITTLE bit. It seems just a little 'scratchy' to me, lowering said EQ would probably fix that.

The timpani rolls as a whole seem a bit stale, try crescending (?) those leading into the next phrase.

The bass seems to me to bit a little too loud. . . turn your bass strings down maybe 2 or 3 (maybe even 4) notches in the mixer. Production other than that (and the french horn thing) is pretty damn good.

Not sure I like the way the track ends, tho. It just seems to leave the track feeling empty, to end a song like this with an unresolved chord. . . It seems to me like it's unfinished. I think you could expand a lot more on the arrangement in continuing past what you have here. :D

Those are my criticisms, very nice work here. :D I think it has potential for OCR with some fixing up and some more variation. Btw, this IS a 'remix,' not an original compo. At least, this is what OCR consideres to a 'remix,' rather than just a 'recorchestration' XD