Important digital techniques to master

If I were to commit to doing bit of reading and experimentation on a regular basis with a specific effect or technique within digital music production, what would be some important effects to keep in mind? EQ, compression, stereo doubling, lowpass filters, etc… which, in your experience, would be most important to familiarize myself with?

Are there any resources for tutorials that you all find to be particularly useful?

I am not implying that I’ll be able to master these with tutorials, but the experience will be helpful.

There is no single technique that is more important than any other technique, when it comes to creating digital music. It is sort of like asking about using a single DAW. True music craft is about using all tools and skills available to you. Master craftsman can compensate for the lack of a particular tool, but can never truly call themselves a master without having all of the requisite skills.

Speaking of which, you should add automation and delay lines to your list of techniques. Both skills are helpful in creating realistic sequencing. Panning also helps a song create the space in which it moves through, giving aural shape to a piece. Even old video game music from the era of the SNES (e.g. Tim and Geoff Follin's score for Spider-Man/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge), features panning. The list you do have however, is a fine start.

Great, thanks for the tips. I've got a healthy list going, so now I'm just looking for reading material and tutorials. I know that I could just google "(technique) tutorial" but I'm hoping to start on a solid foundation.

I have the guide to MIDI orchestration, which has been helpful thus far, and someone recommended to me "Mixing Audio"