Sign in to follow this  
tidus9605605

What type of music is this?

djp's write-up for the Shadow of Colossus ReMix explains the genre pretty well.

Did someone say Shadow of the Colossus??(!!?) Sephfire and newcomer ceili (Daniel and Carrie Floyd, respectively) offer this beautiful, breathtaking, ambient orchestral chill arrangement that I think the game's legion admirers will... admire. Like Ico before it, SotC is a compelling argument for video games as true art, due to a masterful combination of unique aesthetics, minimal superfluous distractions, and singular grace and elegance. The Floyds have done an excellent service to the game's soundtrack with this ReMix:

"Once again, a remix that took far longer than it should have. Such is the way with hobbies I suppose. The style is a vague nod to Harry Gregson-Williams' relaxed film scores; the recent Narnia film, specifically. ceili joined in late in the project to offer her voice to the ambient atmosphere. Apologies to everyone who was following this track in the WIP forum. Sorry I kept you waiting so long. :)"

This mix would have been fantastic without ceili's vocal contributions, but they only add to the already tangible atmosphere. Orchestral, electronica, ambient, and soundtrack elements combine; you can hear the Narnia influence as well. The tone is at once hopeful, enigmatic, cool, and crystalline - all of which Sephfire is adept at channeling, but which are perhaps more evocative here than usual. He's simply done a fantastic job in achieving a balance between atmospheric and melodic emphasis. Production, including the incorporation of Carrie's ethereal voice, is better than ever, and nothing seems out of place or lacking. Even if you've never touched the game (which is highly recommended), it shouldn't be hard to appreciate what Dan's accomplished: it's one of his best mixes to date, and just as striking and lush as the universe that inspired it.

I'm honestly still not sure what type of music it should fall under. He described it with several different types so I'm not sure of where to even begin. Does anyone know of any songs like these?

There are quite a few Japanese ambient soundtracks that sound like this.. I can't name any of the top of my head though.

I'm sure there are quite alot in "Tales of.." games.

Good choice of song by the way :-D