Brasslevania - Castlevania medley for brass quintet update /w live

FunkyEntropy

Something that I've been working on and off again since October and, in a fit of inspiration, made significant headway this past week. This is a medley of a large number of tunes from the Castlevania franchise, although it didn't start out that way.

Originally this was just the Vampire Killer track from Harmony of Dissonance (which actually includes the clocktower tune as well) but it has expanded as I started tacking on other tracks because - let's face it - the Castlevania series has such great music that it's hard to stop once you get started.

So here's what I've got so far. Some things have had more attention paid to them than others (it should be obvious to tell which ones). I haven't done all the transitions yet, so I'll just put them in the order they're supposed to go along with some comments.

First is the HoD Vampire Killer arrangement (with Heart of Fire tacked on as well). This has been tested by live brass and it is very much playable (the hardest part is actually the introduction). I don't have a recording of the group playing it, so you'll have to suffer through the midi for now.

img.php?fid=1158

This will transition to the Castlevania II Town theme, which is the one that needs the most work. The majority of the parts are too busy, or just plain unrealistic in expectations for the musicians. I really, really just want to cave in and ask Virt if I can adapt the parts from his string quartet arrangement of this.

img.php?fid=1159

Following that will be Castlevania II - Monster Dance. I may have to do some work on the trumpet/tuba parts to tone down the difficulty level, but overall I am really happy with the rhythmic/percussive nature of the parts. This is definitely going to be put in front of the group at the next available opportunity to see how it pans out.

img.php?fid=1160

Now, assuming I don't get inspired to tack on anything else (or someone makes a great suggestion), this medley will finish with Bloody Tears. I haven't started work on this yet, so no crappy midi for you to listen to.

Thoughts/comments/concerns?

---------------

New version of the HoD. I decided to cut of the first 5 bars of the piece, it probably won't be the only thing I'll cut (the bridge to the keychange in Vampire Killer's gonna get trimmed down to I think. The repetition is superfluous and inelegant.) Anyway, sight-reading FTW.

img.php?fid=1173