Damaged hearing?

Modus

When mixing and mastering, it is crucial to get an even and unbiased frequency response from your listening environment. The reason being that accuracy counts the most when trying to balance the mix and create the final master for a variety of end user listening situations (whether people listen to your music on headphones, earbuds, car stereos, or expensive home theaters) and still maintain an optimal listening experience.

To sum up, you need a great listening environment in order to create a mix that sounds best on all potential user gear.

This listening environment is not exclusive to just your speaker system. The shape of your room can have a great effect on your perception of frequencies as well as the reflectiveness of your room can have a great effect on your perception of space/reverb and resonance.

It's important that if you're serious about spending money on great listening gear, that you also spend time and money addressing the sonic nature of your listening room.

This may mean treating your walls with absorptive paneling or diffusing arrays of reflective material, or it may mean renovating the wall shape to accomodate a non-parallel surface.

For further information, please google "Room Nodes and Acoustic Treatment"

I'm aware of the fact that you need acoustic treatment on the room you master in, and that headphones are not ideal for mixing. I was more confused at the bold sentence making absolutely no sense grammatically, and seemingly contradicting the overall message of the post.

Stupid post.

Yes, it is true, monitors are widely considered the preference. When I've used our uni studio I've pretty much solely mixed with them, however headphones are bloody good at getting an intimate sound and, possibly most importantly, 90% of your audience will be listening through them. Heck, some studios mix on iPod earphones simply because most people will be using them.

You don't optimise for yourself if you're planning on other people to listen.

If you mix on ipod headphones it will sound good through them but have serious flaws if you listen to it through anything else.

What good recording engineers do is mix on a high quality set of speakers with the flattest response they can get and then use different speakers, headphones and shitty car stereos as references to see how it sounds on different systems and make minor tweaks and adjustments from there.

Alls I'm saying is people serious about music production don't mix on headphones.