Xenogears BMR 3 - 2011Version

Prievert

To start, I'm not a fan of horrible download manager sites. Might want to find a better hosting place, or you might not get as much feedback for your music.

I like the bass-line and the strings. A lot of instruments seem to be getting in each others' way in the mix. You have the guitar, the flute, and the vocoder all playing in the same octave. Either change the arrangement, or you're going to have massive EQ work to do get things out of each others' ways. At times, the flute and vocals are competing for attention. The guitar thing at 2:05 sounds out of place.

At 2:20, I hear a lot of distortion on that horn lead thing. It seems really excessive.

You're probably going to hate me for saying this, but I suggest looking at the mix in mono in a spectrometer. Where you see huge peaks in levels in the arrangement I'd suggest cutting out instruments or moving them around into different octaves to make room. This song is going to take lots of clever re-arranging and EQ to make things sound like they're not competing against each other for attention constantly. It kind of drives me crazy how many things you're trying to do at once.

I might get some heat for saying this also, but I strongly believe panning should be used as part of the final mixing process, right before final mastering. I never use panning to get things out of the way of each other. When I hear different things going on in each ear on my headphones that don't go together it only tends to irritate the hell out of me.

There's an old saying in music, "less is more" (except of course when it comes to cowbell ;p). It sounds like you're trying to do WAY too much at once.