Crash Bandicoot - "MadNess ANd RogaiNe"

Turtle

Rexy's mix of the theme from The Great Hall inspired me to try my hand at a Crash remix of my own. I've been putting quite a bit of work into this, since this series was a massive part of my childhood. Nostalgia is a good motivator, it seems.

Anyway, here it is. (Source is

)

It's still very much a WIP, so good advice is especially appreciated.

Also, did anyone like the title? I thought it was pretty good.

Midi clean electric guitar... It's too obvious and won't fly. Also that other loud midi guitar sound you have that comes in 0:56 is obvious. I can hear and recognize them as MIDI quality sounds and that typically doesn't fly around here.. They're particularly dry which doesn't help, but that's another story.

For a really basic type source like this, you really want to go huge with the drums, and create a hard-hitting and flowing beat. That static kick-based drumline you have going on isn't cutting it. That louder lead midi guitar begins drowning everything out. You've got some fancy reverse-crashes but the high-end is practically empty most of the time.. Very irregular use of snare.. It works contextually based on the source but for a remix, you're going to need to "amp" things up so to speak. Toss in some pads, lose the midi guitar things, and give a lot more strength to the drums and bass synth. Get more creative with the interpretation and slap in more variation. :-P

Can you recommend a good lead that still keeps the spirit of the source?

That's a tough question. How I would do it isn't necessarily what appeals to you as a musician. I personally hear this source as a dubstep remix. It could also potentially work as a western-style remix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU I'd recommend just thinking of generally what style you're going for and choosing something that fits. And to say the least, there's a bajillion synth VSTs out there with tons of presets and the ability to make your own. You could really go nuts. You could slap some nice pads on there or take a different approach. :-P

I wasn't saying you were off by using guitar sounds, it's just the quality of the sample that is an issue.

There's a download link on the storage page I linked to in the first post.

That's a tough question. How I would do it isn't necessarily what appeals to you as a musician. I personally hear this source as a dubstep remix. It could also potentially work as a western-style remix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU I'd recommend just thinking of generally what style you're going for and choosing something that fits. And to say the least, there's a bajillion synth VSTs out there with tons of presets and the ability to make your own. You could really go nuts. You could slap some nice pads on there or take a different approach. :-P

I wasn't saying you were off by using guitar sounds, it's just the quality of the sample that is an issue.

Hm, I doubt I want to go for a Western theme. I (and this is rather embarrassing) am not exactly sure what signifies dubstep as a genre.

I think my preference would actually be to use a clean guitar for the lead if at all possible, since that's just... the instrument for Cortex's theme.

Sample quality is definitely something I need to fix in all my songs. I just don't have a library to speak of yet. It'll grow in time, I'm sure.

Sound design is another thing I have no experience whatsoever with.