A Nightmare On Elm Street - Lucid Dreams On Pine Avenue

L-Cancel

Source materials are the Elm Street theme itself and the House 3 theme from the NES game "A Nightmare On Elm Street". Again, I had to modify the themes themselves slightly to fit my style, and for me to give them my own touch as well. Do let me know what you think of it should you listen to it. Thank you.

Haha, that IS weird. Considering how low in popularity this game is. If someone else posts one I'm... not going to sleep tonight :U.

So anyway, intro starts. You have a synth that has a slow attack, after a while it gets kind of annoying. Maybe you could cover the swell up with some other kind of layering, so it's not quite as striking for the entire intro. Maybe don't have that slow of an attack with every note.

Song picks up, but it's another kind of fake intro... I kinda feel like when the beat starts coming in, you could have just had about 2 measures of this progression instead for your intro, and then bring those drums in.

When the beat comes in, it's neat. The lead is nice too.

When you drop off and come back, you have that euro, chorusey synth. It's a bit too distorted maybe? It sits too far back in the mix, and that's probably the nature of the synth, but I think it would have better effect if it was up closer, or if you layered another synth (give it some headroom) and make that close.

ORRRRRRRR... As you get into the song (by around 2:30)... Why not have a secondary lead, a synth soloing, complimenting over your progression? It gets a little bit monotonous honestly.

Next dropoff at around 3:10 is pretty cool, but again, the lead after a while doesn't keep me interested. My advice? Before 4:05, use something else. Take that synth out before, so you can bring it back here for the climax.

Cute chippy break at 4:50. But the delay on the drums (or the lead itself) is a bit too much.

In fact I think you could do with a tiny bit less delay/reverb throughout the song.

And you bring back the same lead at 5:00, the euro chorus'd synth... Just yeah, it's just too repetitive. In fact, I think you could completely cut out 5:00 to 6:00 and continue onto that more creative part.... No problems with anything until 6:40.

You bring in the same part again. I think it's not even needed. Take that part out, and then just use the part when the piano comes in, and layer that piano part with something more exciting.

The end fades out around the same way the song started, but it sounded a bit anti-climatic.

Anyway, other than maybe too much delay/reverb, the mixing itself was good, though I'm using headphones so I can't say too much for the bass. Drum writing was pretty par for the course on the style.

And about my criticisms, I do understand that this is a certain genre so maybe I am too picky about that part coming back in, but can never hurt to mix it up a little more.

Good luck and hope this helps!

• 3 months later...