Maximus help :(

Hey guys,

I seem to be having a problem where whenever I use Maximus to master my songs, the double bass in my drums seems to duck everything with it, kind of like sidechaining.

Problem is that it makes the song sound like garbage. The cymbals sound fades in and out with each kick. My guitars fade in and out with each kick too. It gets on my nerves.

Is there anyway to change this with Maximus? Do i have to change the release time or something? I really have no clue what to do to fix it. Please help... :(

Also, how should I mix my bass and kick so that they are separate, and both are audible.

Thanks a bunch guys

http://www.soundcloud.com/thesmilingsorrow

If an instrument is pushing everything else down, it's too loud. Don't "master" stuff too loud. A limiter or compressor is pushing down everything else when your bass hits, so either don't feed as much bass into that compressor, or use a multiband compressor to process lows and highs separately. Dunno what Maximus does and can do, so I can't comment on whether it can be done there... but just making the bass (and/or compressor) softer should help.

Splitting bass and kick is best done with EQ. Give the bass a certain part of the low frequency range, the kick another. The kick will probably have a mid/high-range "click" that you might wanna emphasize. You can side-chain them so the bass always gives way to the kick. Cut out the lows from the other instruments so they don't interfere in the lows.

Splitting bass and kick is best done with EQ. Give the bass a certain part of the low frequency range, the kick another. The kick will probably have a mid/high-range "click" that you might wanna emphasize. You can side-chain them so the bass always gives way to the kick. Cut out the lows from the other instruments so they don't interfere in the lows.

this is good advice. a little compression on the master is necessary if you want something competitive in the "loudness wars", but most of getting your song to sound good is the equalization and compression done on the individual tracks, anything you do to the master track should be minimalist

don't use maximus so I don't have anything specific to say about that but in general when people have problems with master compression it usually has more to do with the fact that they're trying to do too much to the master to begin with

Thanks for the replies guys. I use maximus to give my music a little more sparkle. I don't use it all the time but when I do I get the problem.

I do not do much else when mastering except some EQ changes. Thanks for that bit on the kick and the bass, I'll try that.

http://soundcloud.com/thesmilingsorrow/moon-lit-sky <- is what will be using the information you guys gave me, so thanks. I appreciate it a lot