*NO* Final Fantasy 10-2 'From a Dream (OCR Edit)' *RESUB*

Liontamer

ye ye, I probably should have gotten more feedback then just my own opinion, but I feel (well, I know) that it's much better then the one I submitted originally.

Let's list the what I did :D

--> Different drum samples (most aren't FL defaults now =D)

--> Some Notch filtering

--> Different Synth Samples

--> A little change up at 3:0X

--> Different synth at 4:00

--> Outtro is longer

--> Panning!!!

--> Stereo Seperation!!!

--> Beefed up the lead bell

--> uhhh....I think I added 1 or 2 more synth strings

--> Bitrate 160!!!

--> Got rid of that other scratchy synth

That's all I can think of now =\

So yes, this is a pretty big improvment over the original I submitted. All my original information can be found here. I ask that the new title be From A Dream (OCR Edit) or something like that. My original one has been around for a while now and it's appearently quite popular O_o .

and, as a final comment, I'm pretty proud of this mix, and if it doesn't make it, I'll continue submitting it untill the judges break down and accept it :) .

• 1 month later...

6.59 MB filesize...

This is very repetitive, and yes that's taking the genre into account. Lots of compression used, you can hear the ducking effect of the whole song after the intro section as the drums come in.

The synth that starts to fade in at 1.52 (the standard dance synth) is a little too loud when it comes in and for the first part of it's section dominates the mix.

The breakdown bit at 3.02 sounds rather off-key at certain points, and the silence with the re-emergence of the sound used in the intro sounds quite strange, probably due to the compression used.

Repetitive, and not so good execution make this a NO from me.

I like the texture of sound being used. I also appreciate that you put some tempo changes in there so it's not all manic J-pop.

But I wasn't so keen on the chime/xylo lead. It just felt out of place given all the technophilic background texture. Also, by the tale end of the song, you are desperately ready for another type of sound.

I'm also with Malcos on the repetition, though that might be a factor of the genre (in which case, let's start the Techno flame warzz). But, for the moment, let's assume that the author could add some more variation, and let us also assume that the piece would be better for it. Also, and this might be just me, some of the high notes seemed to high to the point of being piercing. Look into that.

NO

-More variation

-change lead

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

Man, this job is tough. I've gotta say though that I was borderline-YES last time and this unfortunately is a NO. I felt the arrangement ideas were good, but the production was actually a LOT muddier this time around and the sounds weren't significantly refined or improved compared to last time despite that list of changes up there that would indicate otherwise.

Like Wing pointed out, the sounds were basically the same throughout the whole 5:45 and you need to change up the sounds and the flow more. Things definitely dragged out, I'm afraid, so figure out how to add substantial dynamic contrast in more points.

The new breakdown section at 2:37 was alright, and I appreciated some of the new ideas like the new supporting synth at 4:00, but overall the composition was way too repetitive, something that wasn't helped by making the piece longer. Didn't like the new section at 4:25-4:51 either I'm afraid, as the xylo note patterns you made didn't really work.

You may wanna just move onto the next piece with this one, Andrew, but don't be discouraged, bro. zircon had a shitload of rejections (a ton of 'em) before he got posted so don't worry about that. I still think you're heading in the right direction overall and hope that you improve your work.

Figure out how to clean up the sound on this one substantially and bring some clarity to the piece and provide more variation.

NO

File size is above our 6 MB limit. Reduce the bitrate settings when you encode the mp3.

This is better in some ways than the older version. I like how the bell synth lead is clearer sounding and dominant; regardless of what wingless is saying, the bell synth is really quite nice. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff here is for the worse.

Main issue here for me is the mixing. I hear a lot of overcompressed elements and there's a lot of wierd pumping type artifacts. It sounds to me like there's some wierd dynamic processing that's destroying the quality of the mix, resulting in a flat mix. It just sounds messy, especially when the lower end and drums are there. It's so muddy and messy.

This is my main issue with the mix. Work on fixing these issues and please resubmit. I voted borderline yes on the original as I do like the concept, but the packaging of it, especially here needs more work.

This one as is though, is a NO.