Mah Guitar String Broke (but not how I expected)

Hey all, let me start at the beginning.

One day in happy land I decided to stop being lazy and fix the intonation on my low E string. I was told to loosen the screw if the fretted notes were too sharp so I did that.

Kept doing it and doing it and doing it... intonation's not fixed, but now the screw is jammed diagonally as it came out and I can't get it back in.

I decided to loosen the string by a lot to see if I could push down to get the screw straight.

Untitled.png

Turns out it didn't work, it was really jammed. So I began getting the string back to regular pitch (I loosened it to the point of removal)... and it snapped around the tuner while I was turning the knob before I could reach E.

294632_234823506559631_100000959510682_609314_577002_n.jpg

The end coming out of the hole is not matching where the string snapped. The end in question is behind the tuner peg (still wound around, took some effort to get that spiraled string out).

My question is, why did this happen? This is a cheap guitar, First Act, but I replaced the strings 4-5 months ago with Super Slinkies from here http://www.ernieball.com/products/category-916-Nickel-Wound#.

I don't understand what you mean at the peg, but the end of the string passing through is not where it broke. That's the end of the string as it was installed.

Uhm, that's what I said. And I know. I STRUNG THE GUITAR.

An easy trick... When it's sharp, on the tuner it's more on the right than spot on 12:00, right ? That means you need to inscrease string lenght... so tighten it. Flat.. = more on the left... = shorten the string. It works just like a spring attached to something :smile:

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I get a new guitar. X_X

Um okay, what don't you just apply that to your current guitar ?

Broke my bridge, yo.

Turns out it didn't work, it was really jammed.

The "thanks for the advice" was not sarcasm.

Anyways, I could apply that to my guitar... but the intonation on all the other strings is fine. It's just Low E that's a nightmare. Frets go an entire semi tone higher when downtuned. And I can't adjust low e anymore. It's broken. :(

I didn't know it was broken tho, just stuck

What kind of bridge is it ? (post a pic)

It's stuck, unfixable, therefore (in m hip lingo) broken. There's a diagram in the first post.

It's a Fender bridge (think that's what it's called. It's the simple one.)

The screw doesn't budge, even with pliers I can't tighten or loosen it.