G. Zarapanecko - Gnostic Registral (electro-acoustic minimalism)

michinoku

Hey,

I'm new to this forum so I don't want to post too much of my stuff all at once. I've chosen to post this track because while I am reasonably satisfied with the recording, I want to retake the harmonic structure of this tune in a different style, with a little bit less sound density, for a future album of the G. Zarapanecko project.

I was hoping to get some feedback from it because while I consider it successful to an extent it is not one of my favorite tracks from this project. I want to see if I can recover it or cannibalize it to an extent.

It is inspired by the minimalist compositions of Arvo Pärt. All sounds are: Accordion, synth percussion, processing.

http://gzarapanecko.bandcamp.com/track/gnostic-registral

I've listened to a lot of minimalist music and try to appreciate the presence it brings. There's some factors I enjoy about this, the processing on the accordion is very interesting it has an uneasy quality but it's so hard to appreciate as it just feels like the synth percussion and glitchy processing are fighting for my attention, that could be intentional but I find it more distracting than inviting. The rhythm seems to be complimenting the delay in the accordion but inevitably it very much feels like I'm listening to two pieces of music at the same time. I'm a little dissapointed but feel a little inspired by your use of accordion and sound processing.

Thanks for the feedback. I was really shooting for a wall-of-sound type of production with this piece and this album, and it unfortunately really obscures the accordion line which independently is one of my favorite chord progressions, being so unstable and so rarely resolving. So the density of sound was intentional but definitely works better in some places on this album than on others.

And having a feeling of two rhythms occurring simultaneously is something I've explored and paid a lot of attention to in modern classical music. I figured it would be something that would translate well to electronic music but getting the mix to balance and emphasize the right beat at the right time has proved to be difficult for me.