Final Fantasy 12 - Near The Water Remix (feedback appreciated)

Ivan Hakštok

For those not familiar with source:

Remix here:

stats.png

Well, long time since I did anything (blame college). Here's a track I started while being a little drunk yesterday :mrgreen:

Arrangement is pretty much done, just need to add small variations, probably needs a bit more humanizing on the piano and some tweaks on the mixing. Also, this recording is a bit buggy and silent as I had to use Audacity because FL's renderer decided to stop rendering certain plugins...

A very nice mix, I'm liking the ambient feel. My main problem though is the bass. It's distracting and sometimes begins to drown out the other instruments. I would suggest lowering its volume or bringing up the low end, or perhaps both. Good start.

This track would benefit greatly from live piano and bass. As exposed as they are here, even humanizing them will only go so far (unless you have outstanding samples and outstanding mixing ability, in which case, impress away!) Have you considered asking someone to collab with you on this?

What you should try to humanize a little more is the strings -- if you get a nicer sounding piano/bass, the treble strings will really stand out as poorer quality.

As for the arrangement, I really like it -- enough variation on the original track to keep me guessing, but it maintains the mellow vibe that I like so much about it. I feel like the piano could have a more intense / complex variation of things near the end with a lot of movement -- that would really make it soar during the last few repeats. Again, finding a live pianist would make this much simpler...

Nice WIP, looking forward to the next iteration!

Well, I'm probably gonna record a live bass, but that will have to wait some time, left it at home and I'm not going home until December. For the piano, I actually already found a person who can record it so live piano should be in the next version.

About the "strings", they were supposed to sound synth-ish, mainly because I wanted the whole piece to be based on Vangelis' "Chariots Of Fire". However, if I manage to find some decent samples I might work on that too.