My First Composition: "Tellus"

Nachoswolf

Listen to it Here!

Well, it's not much to say except that I'm proud of my first composition, and I really want some constructive feedback, so please listen. ;-)

The intro and main kind of riff reminds me of Hell of a Life by Kanye West! I think this is pretty good for a first composition. The sounds your using aren't too bad. This has a pretty epic feel with some oriental elements.

I feel there are some quite cliched chord sequences which lead me to be quite uninterested by the piece. It also felt a little directionless which it should at this stage - these are all things that plague beginners. That guitar surprised me at 3:20ish! I think you have some clipping problems. And also the hi-hat is really really loud which sounds weird when the huge electric guitar is real quiet in comparison.

But in terms of the actual composition i'd say (and these are rules that after years and years and years of writing music i have to remind myself) always have these thoughts in your head "what is my melody? What are my chords? where are they going? what will tie them together" - ok that was supposed to be a real snappy advice line buut... Basically what i'm trying to get at is that a composition that will keep your attention and remain interesting and rewarding is one in which has a planned structure. Many beginners go about a piece by OK here's something i like then the next thing i like then the next thing i like and then oh crap ok i'll repeat the first bit again at the end maybe. And it comes off as meandering and a little uninteresting. It takes a long time to be able to get to a point where you kind of naturally write things that are connected and you instantly think OK i'm using this melody here under different chords in this section and i'm going to use the rhythms of the melody in the bassline here. It's all about coherence in order to keep interest.

This is my perception anyway.

I would say play something on whatever you jam on (perhaps piano) and then stop and thing about all of the possible things you can do with that or create something even unrelated (that's fine) and then think about how these elements can be used and manipulated in a coherent structure.

OK i'm writing too much. This is really good for your first composition and just keep it up, never stop thinking and never stop enjoying it! :)

Thank you! you left a comment including a little more than "nice!" or "pretty good", I love long and serious commments! :D

I'm now working on my second song, and that song is more techno based, but with some orchestral elements as well. The overall structure you wrote about, I promise I'll make it more floating, and of course lower the hi-hat. By the way, about jamming on the piano, that was actually the birth of 'Tellus', and will be my main method when making the actual melodies.

Thank you for alot of motivation, and my deepest apologize for bad english.

Thank you! you left a comment including a little more than "nice!" or "pretty good", I love long and serious commments! :D

I'm now working on my second song, and that song is more techno based, but with some orchestral elements as well. The overall structure you wrote about, I promise I'll make it more floating, and of course lower the hi-hat. By the way, about jamming on the piano, that was actually the birth of 'Tellus', and will be my main method when making the actual melodies.

Thank you for alot of motivation, and my deepest apologize for bad english.

Ah don't worry about the english - i understood you. I'm learning japanese so I completely understand the problems of speaking in another language. That said i think "floating" is a mistranslation for "coherent" - but yes - what i mean by this is that every small part of the piece is relevant.

I'm glad i can offer motivation - i wouldn't mind some of that! :) I look forward to seeing the hearing the second song!

Responding per your twitter comment...:)

Sounds like you're using FL. This is quite good for a first piece. I hear some dynamics and a sense of instrumentation. The samples are a bit bland and generic, but layering, sound design, and better samples will come with time.

It's a fairly simple melody, which suffers a little from the slow pace of the song. Certainly serviceable, though, and much better than anything I put together on my first track. Might want to look into Nutritious's free FL orchestral template, too. The best advice I have is to keep practicing and producing. The best way to learn is by digging in and writing tons of tracks. Good luck! :)

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15415