Flying High Above (Chrono Trigger + Bahamut Lagoon)

Ivan Hakštok

Link to the song: http://soundcloud.com/haki-1/f

This is a remix of Chrono Trigger's ending theme, To Far Away Times and Bahamut Lagoon's Fahrenheit 1 theme.

Don't know how exactly I came to the idea for this mix, but I think it sounds pretty neat so far. I've got to polish some sections (the outro needs most work).

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Sources:

Updated, link in the 1st post.

I changed the 3rd lead synth, and also worked around couple of figures in places where I thought the song felt empty. Also, I started the ending fade-out a bit earlier in order to cover up the repetition.

As always, feedback is welcome. I really hope this will be good enough for a submission!

• 2 weeks later...

<MODREVIEW>

CAVEAT: Nothing in this mod review is intended to insult or belittle you, but it may come across a wee bit harsh.

Righto, we’re right smack in my comfort zone right here, genre wise. I love the sources you’ve chosen, quite beautiful. Unfortunately, this mix has a lot of problems, so let’s go over those.

Let’s start with some major flaws:

1. The mix as a whole is very dry—there’s a distinct lack of delay and reverb, which are essential to creating the atmosphere needed for a trance/dance sort of track.

2. Most of the instrumentation in here is straight MIDI-ripping, or similar transposition technique. What I mean by that is everything is a little too close to the source. Elaborate a bit! Create an arpeggio out of a straight lead, add some fills, get creative.

3. The bassline is clashing with the kick, frequency-wise; do yourself a favor and find a new sound for the bassline, first, as that generic bass guitar really doesn’t fit, and then see about perhaps spicing up the actual bassline writing a bit.

4. The arrangement doesn’t give me anything to hang my hat on. Since this is a trancey mix, you’ll want to give it fairly obvious sections—a intro, a chorus, a breakdown, a climax, and then back to the chorus, all while keeping some sort of continuity as to instrument choices and melody lines without getting too repetitive. Tall order, I know—dance is an inherently repetitive genre, but you have to balance between repetitiveness and freshness.

5. Finally, you’ve gotta add some backing instrumentation. Be original if you must, but fill in the blanks between the lead sounds with some arpeggios, some little countermelodies, whatever.

Also, some other issues:

1. The crash is too loud, and could really do with some delay and reverb.

2. The kick is a bit muddy in the mid-low end of the frequency spectrum.

3. The snare is pretty weak, and needs some polishing in the low-mid (muddy) and high frequency areas (needs more bite to it).

4. Pads could stand to be sidechained. Not a requirement, but if you want to go for the sound of “today” (or even several years ago), you’ll need to do that.

5. Finally, you’ve GOTTA come up with something more creative than a simple fade-out at the end. I’m pretty sure that’s a judge pet peeve.

That should give you plenty to work on. Let me know if there’s anything confusing you—I’m here to help!

</MODREVIEW>