frantic flight - big orchestral piece (TIGsource competition)

Calum

http://soundcloud.com/calumbowen/frantic-flight

Hi guys,

I just made this for a competition over at TIGsource forums. The rule this week was "one note bass-lines". It was pretty challenging but I found that by giving the bass such a prominent rhythmic role I managed to maintain interest throughout. This was a really fun piece. Hope you enjoy listening to it. :)

This is sweet, fantastic execution of the concept! The last quarter of the piece is a little odd though- I'm not quite sure it fits with the frantic nature of the rest of it. Very cool overall though1:smile:

I have to agree!

I suppose I was trying to get as much variety as I could within the concept. I also toyed with the idea that it was a plane going through a storm and the end section is the moment it exits the storm through the clouds... with that narrative it kinda works BUUUT, then i'd have to tell everyone that.

Anyway, thanks for listening :)

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. From reading some responses on SoundCloud, I can hear the John Adams influence, although I think I heard some Aaron Copland a bit too, LOL. Nice use of textures and rhythms, really pulling an idea together. However, for my own taste, I wish there was a little more movement in melody and chord progressions, but it still sounds great!