Question Regarding Music Usage

redraptor

Hi there,

So I am part of group looking to create some livestream content. Essentially we are starting to run online ESPORTS (competitive gaming) events, that will be broadcast via twitch.tv.

One of our goals is to shy away from copyright content in the broadcasts to promote good digital media practices. Many competitors completely shirk copyright convention and essentially just use whatever they want as music during downtime/breaks, and within video content. This is fine, and I understand its a relatively new space, but we would like to do things the proper way.

As a long time fan of OCRemix I'm curious on the availability of music from here for usage in such a thing. I'm certainly aware that the term Remix used in the context of OCRemix is a bit of a misnomer as many things here are original/inspired compositions.

So I'm curious if/and how music from here is governed for usage in media. The type of things we would be doing is playing full compositions during downtime or in between matches. As well some stuff could be used as tracks within produced video content. (highlight reels, etc.)

Of course with whatever content that was used we would look to credit the creator, offer links to the originals for our viewbase.

So in general, I'm looking for the stance on usage. Is it a case-by-case reach out to creator? Or does anything submitted to the website fall under some code?

Thanks

One of our goals is to shy away from copyright content in the broadcasts to promote good digital media practices. Many competitors completely shirk copyright convention and essentially just use whatever they want as music during downtime/breaks, and within video content. This is fine, and I understand its a relatively new space, but we would like to do things the proper way.

As a long time fan of OCRemix I'm curious on the availability of music from here for usage in such a thing. I'm certainly aware that the term Remix used in the context of OCRemix is a bit of a misnomer as many things here are original/inspired compositions.

So I'm curious if/and how music from here is governed for usage in media. The type of things we would be doing is playing full compositions during downtime or in between matches. As well some stuff could be used as tracks within produced video content. (highlight reels, etc.)

Of course with whatever content that was used we would look to credit the creator, offer links to the originals for our viewbase.

So in general, I'm looking for the stance on usage. Is it a case-by-case reach out to creator? Or does anything submitted to the website fall under some code?

OCR's Terms of Use here.

As for ocremixes being less remix, more original, it's true to a degree, but they're still arrangements of the original, copyrighted works. That game companies generally aren't asshats means we can do stuff like this, and ppl can use it for game-related stuff without fear of huge lawsuits. Typically, companies send out Cease and Desist letters to fan games, which is a far cry from the lawsuits using riaa music would get you.

That vgm tends to not be monitored the way nor to the extent popular music is in tv and movies doesn't diminish the copyright. The game sphere is just a more tolerating culture, I guess.