FF IV-Main Theme (Zakova Mix)

Woo, first remix :D First off, you do need to watch your levels. The whole track is ,sadly, clipping. Bring down your track levels to get rid of the distortion. The arrangement sticks very close to the original. Don't be afraid to deviate and add variation to add interest to repeats. You could add more variation by simply moving the melody to another instrument/synth. Without changing what is there you could add further variation by dropping some of the accompaniment out for a while. Give the strings pizz chords for a few bars then return to the chords, drop out the melody for a while and focus on the supporting instruments. Maybe add your own intro with a solo violin playing the melody (or variation of the melody). Drums and percussion certainly aren't a necessity but the odd cymbal crash or snare (ala orchestral) could spice this up a bit.

The biggest focus though should be to get rid of the clipping as its overshadowing all the good stuff at the moment :)

• 2 weeks later...

Much improvement over the first version I heard. I'm on my laptop but there doesn't seem to be the clipping there was before.

General points:

I know its not always feasable but if you can, try and find some higher quality samples. Having said that, some EQ and reverb would do wonders to up the production values.

The synth at about 40 secs doing the arpeggios needs to come down a bit in volume and could do with a tad of reverb or something. Perhaps try and find a better patch or thicken up the sound by playing around with the synthesis.

Arrangement-wise, everything I posted before is still applicable BUT good job on mixing up the instrumentation a bit and getting the levels balanced. Don't be afraid to whack in a completely original section to extend what is there or use parts of the melody to create other accompanying motifs.

• 3 months later...