Smiles to Tears (Onett, Smiles and Tears)

Hey there! Trying something totally new, going for a sort of indie-rock style. I didn't have time to record the lyrics, so the piano that kicks in at 0:08 is just a placeholder for the vocals and I didn't put much effort into making it sound nice. It's clearly got some reverb and EQ issues.

The thing is, I feel like the style I've got going is exactly what I want so far, but the instruments (mostly the guitar, bass, and keyboard) just aren't quite the way I'd like them so sound, and I was hoping some of you guys would be able to help me out in getting the sound I'm going for. I'm thinking about collabing with someone/s who can actually play real instruments and get a live recording for the instruments. That would be nice.

The introduction is inspired by "Her Smile in Every Summer," so maybe someone here could help me with some production techniques to make that bit sound a bit more polished. The percussion in particular bothers me, but I'm not sure what to change. As for the bass, I'm looking for a cleaner sound with a bit more personality. Logic has so many amp customizations to choose that I have no idea where to begin. Maybe someone with Logic reading this could give me some tips on what instruments and amps might be what I'm looking for. And as for the acoustic guitar, I just don't like the sample I have. Hopefully someone could help me with how I might get it to sound better, but I think a live recording is the only real solution for that.

I really appreciate any comments or help anyone's willing to offer, be they on the issues I raised or any other issues. Thanks guys!

Link: http://www.box.com/s/351a854b49005ab491ea

Original (Onett):

I haven't incorporated Smiles and Tears yet, so no linkity. Sorry.

The bass is a bit loud, I had to lower the bass in my speakers to actually hear the rest of the instruments.

Anyway, I like the idea behind the mix. The drums are fine in my opinion, though you could try using the ride cymbal, maybe it matches the mood of the song more. For the piano you could use some chords to back the melody. Also, you could try experimenting a bit more with the melody (making the melody play some higher notes in the ending for example).

I hope you also add the rest of the melodies from the original source. I think you will though, since this WIP is very short.

Yeah, the bass is definitely too loud. I turned it up to check the reverb, but I forgot to turn it back down.

I definitely will add more of the source melody. Some other motifs from EarthBound, too. This is just what I have so far.

Anyone else have any tips or advice to offer? I'd really appreciate it.