Tropico 2 - Grog

stats.png

Don't know how many of you are familiar with this game and ost, but I find it amazing, so I decided to remix it. I almost finished the 1st half of the song, planning to make this around 3 minutes long so I need to arrange the other half and record some more guitar parts. I'll also redo the drum sequencing as I'm not quite happy with the current one.

If you wanna check the source, it's here:

Feedback is welcome!

That intro string section is a bit soft, and the drums are a bit too loud.

The mix overall feels a bit absent in the mids from 0:34 to around 1:15, which is a stark contrast to the sections that have other, non-rock instruments which end up filling out that frequency range, like from 1:15 on for a while.

The strings starting around 1:30, the ones that are panned to the right a bit, sound like they're dropping off suddenly when they end, which makes for an odd sudden volume drop. I'd give those a bit more sustain. You palm muting there is very loud, too. I'd suggest cutting around 250Hz and lower for those parts. You'll likely also find that doing so gives the bass a little more room to breath as well.

The mix gets really quite around 1:44 to 1:56. Dynamic is nice, but that section is too quite imo compared with the rest of the song.

For the most part, your lead guitars are clashing with your rhythm guitars and drowning them out, almost to the point where it sounds like it's just a lead guitar, bass, drums, and a bunch of fuzz. It might be a good idea to give your rhythm guitars a decent boost around 500-600Hz. That'll fill out those empty mids and give your rhythm guitars a little more presence in the mix, especially during lead sections like that solo at the end.

I really like these drums samples. Toms sound like they might be a bit too loud, and the kick too just a bit, but everything on that kit sounds awesome.

As far as arrangement, this could easily be a solid piece. Really, the only things I can nitpick about this piece are on the production side of things.

Wow, thanks for the extensive comments! I rarely mix guitars so I expected to make quite a few mistakes production-wise. I'll be making those changes asap.

For the drums, I actually created my own kit from the samples I've collected over the years (I used the same setup but with a bit different processing for my mix in the SZRC). Glad to know I did a good job there :)

Sounding much better. I am noticing a bit of clipping in some places, notably when some big crashes happen, like the one at 0:13.

Bass might be a tad high. It's nice and clear as far as tone, so I think turning out down a bit to make it a little more level with the rest of the instruments would do this mix some good, maybe help out a bit with some of that clipping. Not by much; Maybe 1 or 1.5 dB.

The outro seems a big sudden. It sounds like it's going for a ring-out and fade, but it just kinda drops. It feels awkward.

Other that that, this is a damn sexy mix. I'm sure the mod that checks this out will find a few more nitpicks, but I think I touched on the more noticeable issues. This is pretty close to hitting the front page imo.

Watch the low toms, they get pretty bassy. Bass kind'a has a similar problem, in that it sounds played high and muffled, rather than natural. The lows are a mess. Also, watch how instruments exit. There's a sampled isntrument in the middle of the track that ends a bit clunkily, same thing with the mid-range guitar in the end of the track. Watch out for stuff like that.

There are parts where I think it's too conservative, and others that feel right in line with ocr's re-arrangement thing. The overall structure is pretty cookie-cutter, but it works.

It's a nice short track. Couldn't be much longer without doing something different with the source, so it's at a good length. Not sure about the heavy distortion on the rhythm guitars, they clash with the summer day feel of the melody imo. Just my opinion/taste, tho, it's your track and your choice what to make of it. Biggest problem is the muddy, heavy lows.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative - sticks too close to the source - slight possibility

PRODUCTION

- Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - should solve itself with lighter lows

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - especially the lows

Nice work. :D