House music?

So, I'm studying house music as a more serious attempt to get on a decent label of some sort and I've made up a quick WIP to see if I'm grasping it but I'm not sure.

http://tindeck.com/listen/tfur

I don't really understand the House genre. A lot of the published stuff I listen to seems so simple to do, but I know better than that. This track I'm just experimenting with stuff from what I'm listening to so far and I'd like to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong (which should be quite a bit considering its still a rough sketch and so forth)

Thank you!

generally speaking house lives at 120-130 bpm and is, with some exceptions, defined by four-on-the-floor beats. what youve got here more closely resembles some form of downtempo breakbeat. on the other hand, your synth and percussion choices here are somewhat reminiscent of the minimal/tech house sound youd find on labels like kompakt.

imo best advice for "learning" any style of music is to immerse yourself in the culture surrounding it as much as possible. listen to tracks, listen to mixes, try creating mixes of your own, put yourself in a live situation (as audience or performer). that maybe sounds like very vague, impractical advice, but i think it can be really easy to get caught up in the "rules" of mainstream edm and its endless list of subgenres. the more you know the music, the more the boundaries between styles becomes fluid, the more likely you will be able to create something that not only succeeds as dance music, but comes from a place of authentic impulse.

I mean, I don't have the kick on all 4 beats there like I should (for now), but I don't really understand the difference apart from that.

thats about it, really.

you could make the argument that the hihat and bass patterns also skews toward breakbeat, because in spite of being syncopated they emphasize downbeats as opposed to offbeats (even though there is an open hihat on offbeats, the fact that it occurs only after 2 and 4 has the overall effect of lengthening the rhythm, or making it seem slower/downtempo, and ultimately pointing attention towards the hihat on the downbeat). this is a generalization, but a side effect of four-on-the-floor rhythms is an emphasis on offbeats, if for no other reason than the kick will pretty much own the quarter notes.