02 Hall of Fame (N1 Grand Prix Theme)

linkandzelda

Hello everyone, I'm Linkandzelda and I do Video Game Guitar Covers. Recently, or rather about 2 years ago, I began working on an album of 23 of my favourite covers. Since then I'm on the 3rd revision where I've recently upgraded my hardware and software for the 3rd time since I began recording.

Out of the 23 tracks I planned I've done 22 of them, and because this is 1 song per thread I've picked what I deem to be the best one out of the lot. All of my mixes share the same characteristics as the other and I use the same techniques to make them all, so any feedback I can apply to the other songs where due.

The track I chose, track 2 I think is very good, but it has some flaws that I'm unaware of. I compare it to other peoples songs and covers and it makes mine sound poor. I listen to other professional tracks and I get the same feeling, so the song is still deemed a WIP, as are all of the other songs.

I'm hoping that once you guys listen to this you'll give me some constructive and helpful feedback about the mix and what I should do to improve it. One of my problems is, I don't know how to mix and master properly as I only just recently began doing it. People tell me "that's a boxy mix" or "it's a bit muddy" and other comments that I don't understand and/or do not know what to do to fix them. This is why I was also hoping that I'll receive some sort of help with mixing or something too, so I'm looking forward to what people think of the mix.

Enough blabbering, here is the mix on Soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/linkandzelda/hall-of-fame

As someone else new to mixing I can't offer many specific suggestions, but here are some things that stood out to me:

1) No bass - This is killing the drums and making the song sound quite 'thin'

2) Centered - Almost all your sounds seem to be centered; try panning some to the left and right.

3) Compressed - The whole thing sounds too compressed (lacks dynamics) and it's clipping a lot.

Honestly, first I'd try to get the whole thing to sound right at a lower volume (so no clipping) and then go from there.

I do hope this helps, as I think you've got a very good start of a song here and I'd definitely like to hear a better version.