Why would a monitor's frequency response be 38Hz-22kHz?

Dafydd

Reading on the specifications page for M-AUDIO DX8 D2, I notice the frequency response is listed as "38Hz – 22 kHz".

Is it normal for monitors to have a freqency response low end at nearly an octave above that of the human hearing range? Typically, when you look at speaker specifications, they're usually around 20Hz - 20kHz, even for cheap headphones (a promise which I admittedly don't know if they actually deliver on, but there it is), and some even ranging down to 14Hz or so on the low end. These speakers, however, go outside human hearing range on the high end, but the opposite on the low end - and the product page even claims these speakers' new design is "adding additional low frequency extension", which would suggest their old design had an even more limited frequency response on the low end.

I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason for the seemingly high lower limit of the frequency response, but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know?

So basically, if you try playing some really low sub-bass notes, with these monitors, you can't really tell which note is playing? That makes sense :-) I don't think we can tell frequencies apart that well in the range below 40 Hz or so anyway - didn't think of that. Then again, if you're playing A0 on a piano, the overtones are helping you figure out what note is playing, and if you were just playing a sine wave at A0, it would probably be impossible to tell it's an A without any other sounds for it to resonate (or not) with.

Generally to judge a decent monitor you check the range. Some people assume that the larger range models are better, but that's not true. The range of the speaker should be relative to the size of the speaker.

If you see a speaker with a 5" woofer that claims to go down to 20hz, it's gonna sound awful. The laws of physics limit a speaker of that size from naturally producing those frequencies, so what you're hearing is 50hz being EQed and boosted and manipulated to sound lower and to fake the sound of 20hz.

Generally, a 4" speaker will have a lower limit of about 52-60hz, 5" will be 50-58hz, 6" should be 48-52hz, 7" is 42-48hz, 8" is 36-42hz. These are just ballpark figures. You'll find some 8" speakers that only go down to 45hz and you'll find some 5" speakers claiming to go down to 45hz.... in that scenario SOMEONE is lying.. :)

Anyway, a speaker going down to 38hz has a pretty good range. When mixing more bass heavy music it's recommended that you get a sub to cover that 20-40hz range that most speakers do not. Most people do not need to mix with subs. Chances are all the most respected music out there has been mixed on speakers that don't go down past 35-40hz.

But in the end it all comes down to how much air the woofer can push out, and speaker measurements are based on the diameter of the woofer. Very little in terms of music ever needs to go down past 30hz, unless you're specifically targeting large woofers, because few people have the equipment to correctly push out 20hz.

That was very informative - thanks!

However, by "most people", do you include people who mix dance type music? A kick often has very low frequency components, but maybe you don't need to be able to distinguish between them...?

Also, by "faking" 20 Hz sounds, do you mean the speakers are adding overtones of very low notes to make it sound like it's actually playing them even though it's not, or boosting the EQ on the low end to make it feel more bassy (might be the exact same thing, now that I think about it)?

But yeah, like you say, hardly anyone would be listening to whatever it is I mix on better equipment than these monitors, so in the end I guess it's a moot point. I do need monitors though, because everything I make sounds competely different on every speaker system or headphones (to the point where some intruments seem to completely disappear on some, yet dominate the soundscape on others) I try playing it on, in a way that professionally mixed stuff doesn't.

As far as I know the premier "faking" method is usually an EQ circuit built into the speaker to boost the bass frequencies. Lots of monitors these days come with contour switches which usually scoop the mids a bit and create a "sweeter" sound (or so they claim). I don't know if it's a matter of me lacking skill or training or what, but I always prefer to use monitors with a flat response. Also smaller monitors come with bigger sound holes to get more air out and increase the bass feel more naturally.

As for dance music and other like styles I think a sub would be in your favor. Just because a typical listener will only hear your track via shitty earbuds there's no reason not to make sure the bass is where you want it. Someone may want to play it on a home stereo with a sub or maybe at a club with a decent monitor system, so better be prepared. Especially since these styles of music rely on sampled and mixed/edited kick drums that tend to have a ton of things going on below 38hz.

This is how you fake it, no EQ needed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex

Also, the toggles on the back of the monitor can be useful; your speakers may be flat as a board, but your room may not be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_modes

Though, if you cannot fix the room (you're renting or living with your parents and neither party likes the idea of having several basstraps in the corners) an accurate EQ is probably a better idea than some toggles.

• 2 weeks later...

well this might seem a bit random but the lowest note i'll use for a sub is F0 because at that frequency most systems will be able to produce the note without any issues. I mix on 6" KRK Rokits.

Also, no, bass traps will not make your neighbours happier. It will make you happier and your mixes better in your room. Acoustic treatment is different from soundproofing.

edit: it will NOT make your mixes better, but rather, it will allow you to hear your mix more accurately, which could potentially lead to better mixes if you know what you're doing :)