Majora's Mask: Opening Theme Experiment

Hylian Dan

Hi again. This one requires a bit of an explanation. Previously I tried mixing together the Clock Town and Stone Tower themes from Majora's Mask, suspecting that one of the songs was derived from the other. Curiosity led me to dig a bit deeper, and I made this mix to expose what I think may be the root of most of the game's music: the game's opening notes.

In this mix I take the game's opening theme and repeat it a million times with slight adjustments, trying to derive many of the game's familiar themes from it. At this point this is simply an exploration, not something I'm considering submitting. It uses two basic garageband instruments and there are some timing hiccups I haven't yet cleaned. What I'm looking for is some feedback about the ideas in this, and hopefully some new arrangements can be born out of it.

Here's the mix.

And here are the source tracks:

There's one particular thing I noticed from this that I think is pretty cool. The Clock Tower's bells are a very iconic sound in the game: they're two descending notes, and you can hear them used in the Last Hours song above. The melodies I explored in this mix all start with some ditty that has an emphasis on two descending notes in the middle, usually just before the melody repeats or shifts slightly. So perhaps the Clock Tower bells echo the game's main themes or vice versa.

Thanks for listening, and hopefully this experiment leads to some cool new compositions down the road.