Lufia II - Battle Theme 1

Angelmei

The Lufia II soundtrack is criminally underrepresented on OCR. There's an album project in the works that's looking like it's nearing completion, but anyway... on to your remix!

Love love love it. Really nice instrument choices.

Suggestions for improvement:

1. The strings and brass, when they carry the melody, become exposed and sound more synthetic than real. Man, that string line would sound killer with a real violin (or some advanced samples), with more vibrato, swelling, some tasteful slides... it's such a good melody, you could really milk it more.

2. The song is very conservative over all. I'd mess with the song structure some more, make it longer, stray from the source more...

3. On the other hand, I hear a tantalizing counter-melodic line hiding deep behind the strings starting at 0:50. I can't even make out whether it's an Oboe, a Clarinet, or Flute, it's so quiet. Please bring it out more! That's the kind of original, creative addition I love to hear.

4. The drums feel a little lack-luster. I'm not sure if it's just repetitive sample choice, the compression, not quite-enough-humanization or what... I struggle with drums in all of my projects, and they never seem to pop with quite the same intensity I hear in most OCR-accepted songs. At the same time, I like that you made the drum part sound playable; for example, avoiding the classic mistake of the "three-handed" (or worse) drummer who can hit hats and crash cymbals at the same time. By the way, is the choice of orchestral crash cymbals over a drumset crash (sus cymbal hit with a stick) intentional? It throws me off a little, because my ears aren't expecting plate-on-plate action where a traditional drum set crash would normally go. It's not necessarily wrong, just a little odd.

5. A fade-out is a cop-out! Don't take the easy way out! :wink:

Really nice start. I really enjoyed listening, and I hope you decide to revisit this song and expand on what you have here.

Hi Angelmei and welcome to OCRemix :D

Regarding yor Remix i would like to give you some suggestions for the future. For Remixing break out of the Original Arrangement and absolutely make it your own Thing. The Remix you have posted sounds extremely close to its Original Source, also it could be just a remastered Midi transcription. It Sounds heavily repetetive and there is too much Reverb on some instruments. Anyway.. you have alot of potential regarding the use of instruments. They fit together so well! Keep it up and dont hesitate to try something new :D

Hi guys, thank you so much for the reply! I really appreciate it.

for crypto_magnum:

1. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to play around with another sample some time..

2. Yes this is the worst part I think. Sometimes I feel bad that I can only copy existing music, without being able to break out of the original like AngelsDen also said :|

3. Ah and this one, I'm sorry to disappoint you, because I actually copy it also from a group of students performing lufia 2 medley, here's the link:

skip to 2:40 for the tantalizing part you mentioned :)

I really love that medley!

4. About the "three handed" drummer part, haha yes I edited that one for that reason :D it's amazing how you can read through my mind!!

and the crash, I chose that crash because I was really new to FL Studio, so I didn't know how to add custom samples >.< so I picked the one that available.

5. Haha yes, maybe when I developed my musical skills, I will try to re think about this.

for Angelsden:

Thank you for your suggestion!

I'm still new to making music, so currently I'm still learning about using instruments properly, learning the name of the instruments, how to use it in FL Studio, and.. many basic stuffs :( still so many things to learn..

Maybe in the future I will try to re-remix this song.. I really like it since the first time I entered a battle scene in Lufia II ^^

for Angelsden:

Thank you for your suggestion!

I'm still new to making music, so currently I'm still learning about using instruments properly, learning the name of the instruments, how to use it in FL Studio, and.. many basic stuffs :( still so many things to learn..

Maybe in the future I will try to re-remix this song.. I really like it since the first time I entered a battle scene in Lufia II ^^

Look at my Signature... years ago i was at your point too and the Community of OCRemix helped me alot to improve alot of skills.

Look at my Signature...

Wow how come I miss this??

That's a beautiful dance remix of lufia battle theme!

and how coincidence, I'm also just starting to learn making dance remixes.. I planned to make a remix of Gloria in Excelsis Deo for this year's christmas :razz:

a little bif off topic here :oops: but could you please give me suggestion of free good samples for making dance remixes?

Thanks again AngelsDen!