Palpable

contact info:

remixer name: finbeard

email address:

userid: 48971

submission info:

game: Earthbound

track name: We Got This Name Because We Weren't First

songs arranged: Welcome To Your Sanctuary, Boy Meets Girl (Twoson), The Metropolis of Fourside

comments:

i made this track as a submission to Snappleman's Punchfest remix contest- the theme was games released in 1995. Earthbound's US release date is in '95, and this was one of several EB tracks that cropped up in the final submissions. when i made this track, my recording interface was, to put it politely, completely screwed, so i was forced to fake my way along with VSTs. at least i finally got my money's worth out of that accordion plugin!

---

thank you!

-finbeard

• 5 weeks later...

Finbeard... the name rings a bell, I've seen you popping up every once and a while on various forums but I've never heard anything from you. Let's see what you've got...

First off, really nice combination of instruments here, everything has a very nostalgic vibe to it. Your instrument tone is great.

However, there's some sloppiness issues with the performances here. It sounds like things were played in via a keyboard and not really tweaked very much afterward (though I could be wrong on that.) That entire Fourside section at the end is where a lot of this comes up, but the accordion performance doesn't sound very realistic throughout the track, either. There's some little moments throughout the song that are minor and forgiveable, but the last section of the track feels extremely sloppy to me and needs some attention.

In addition, the last part of the track feels underdeveloped, and at less than 2 and a half minutes, this remix doesn't really have much room to grow. Not necessarily a dealbreaker on this point, but it's worth noting that the track feels like it has room for additional development and progression.

Not quite feeling this one, the unrealistic accordion sequencing and sloppy performance/writing are pushing it under the bar. Tons of merit here though, it's nice to finally hear something from you on the panel! We'll see how it goes with the rest of the vote.

NO (resub!)

The mood set by this track is excellent, it's very pleasant and welcoming. I am definitely hearing the timing issues that Wes brought up as well, especially the end, where it just doesn't gel together.

I think a few mixing aspects could be improved as well, such as the 16th notes played in the intro coming down in velocity or volume, so they aren't as overpowering. I really enjoyed the bass part, and helped give the track a lot of character. I think some other instruments are a bit loud too in spots, like the accordion and bass at the end.

I also agree that for the length of the track, it feels underdeveloped. Almost 1/5 of it is the drone intro, which while I feel it's length is fine as-is, the rest of the track is too short, and with several different themes, some additional interpretation would be welcome.

I really, really like the mood and arrangement style of this song, I just think it needs to be tightened up and expanded on further. I'd love to hear a resub!

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely set of instruments and arrangement - this put me in a very happy mood. :) I have to agree with the issues that the other gentlemen have mentioned. This feels quite short given the intro that takes up more than 30 seconds of a short song, and the sequencing is also a little loose and sometimes not that realistic (accordian). I was tempted to pass this anyway, given how everything else sounds great, but it's just under the bar for me. I imagine this would be a really easy resubmit, and I strongly suggest you do.

NO (resubmit)