Quicktime Synthesizer is pissing me off!

I want to use the Quicktime Synthesizer in Garage Band (I know teh suckage) but I can't select different patches! I chose the Apple DLS generator and the Quicktime sound bank but it wont let me choose which patch I want! It only plays the piano. The DLS lets me use soundfonts and other synths, but I want to be able to just use the Quicktime synths before I starting looking around for soundfonts.

Does anyone have any help for me?

The Quicktime synth object is a little strange. Garageband and Logic don't treat it as a software instrument but an external synth object. Thus, you need to send a program change message to it in order change samples. I'm more of a Logic guy so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Garageband can send program change messages by itself. If you have a keyboard connected to your computer that supports program change messages, you can use it. I was able to load up Garageband, select the Quicktime Synthesizer, and change instruments via the program change message sender on my keyboard.

• 6 years later...