FF6: Edgar and Sabin

Overswarm

Something I've wanted to work on for a while. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on the sound itself:

https://soundcloud.com/overswarm/edgarandsabinv1

I kind of put three of the ideas into a shorter timespan and crammed it all together, but the idea itself is there. My goal is to combine elements from the Edgar & Sabin and the Coin Song themes using only a Piano and do so in a slower, more melancholy way. They're already fairly similar songs so the combination isn't too difficult, but experimenting I sometimes wonder if the "sadder" style even works for the song.

Is this style something you could consider working for this arrangement, and does the Piano sound too unnatural?

Edited by Overswarm

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried to make a few changes:

https://soundcloud.com/overswarm/edgarandsabinv2

I wanted to focus more on the low notes, but you were right that it wasn't really working. Moving it up made the discord sound worse to my ears so I changed it up a bit... except for one part in the middle I couldn't figure out at all.

I wanted to attempt a more melancholy version of the track with emphasis on discord, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I'd like, at least in my skill set. :)

I'll keep experimenting and trying to figure out how to make a piano sound natural though.

Edited by Overswarm

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...the approach is promising, but execution is still at the novice level, like you've mentioned. I'll keep an eye out for this track and see how it evolves.

I would strongly advice that you alternate the octaves of your chords at certain parts...also 3-note chords in lower octaves almost NEVER work, unless you are aiming to cause a lot of tension...even still, I'd reccomend turning them into 2-note chords, i.e. delete the middle notes; still...that's really only a bandaid solution, but at least it'd be a start.

Lotsa potential here, keep at it dude.