Unusual interpretation Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SMD) - Hilltop ReMix in progressive trance style

flashvanslyer

I think that the theme music to the abraded holes and other musicians. But paying tribute to the classics, I decided to create this remix. Having been inspired by music A state of trance, I thought, why not try to take something out of the music game Sonic the Hedgehog, something very far from the trance and turn in this style. Now you can see it) Sorry, hear :tomatoface: (sorry my English is sooo bad =( )

Click here to download, or listen this track:

Edited by flashvanslyer

Nice! I like it, it compares well to

In all seriousness, you might want to publicize your remix. :tomatoface:

It's still broken. I don't have any experience with VK so I'm not sure how to fix it, but either try and solve the link on your own or put it on a different web drive (best bet would be Dropbox but that's just me).

I'm so sorry. Now I finally corrected this link. The file is available from other service.

Edited by flashvanslyer

It's fine, of course we were just kidding. :)

Well, first of all, the sounds you chose are pleasant. Kind of basic sounds, but they're not grating for the most part, to me.

The piano at 0:07 stuck out to me first. There's quite a bit of reverb on it, but the low cut on it is not moved up, so there's some ambience that covers the low end too. Also, the frequencies of the dry signal (ignoring the reverb) are too low, making it sound like it's being hit harder than it actually is. A high pass on the dry signal could help free up muddiness later in the mix. At 0:15, the same piano clashes with the low-cutoff arp, so that's one instance where it might help.

There's also too much reverb on the supersaw. At 0:48, the distorted chippy arp there is dry, which you may have done to compensate for the reverb on the other three instruments. If you balance out the reverb amounts, it may help the clarity of the mix.

Something else I noticed is that the mix is generally not extremely 3D. At 1:30, the arp playing widely is a good start at making a 3D stereo image. However, at 1:48 - 2:12, things are getting extremely muddy (especially at 1:58), and it's not helping that it's supposed to be a buildup. It's certainly less muddy afterwards, though. Also, at 1:58, there's some sort of resonant arp that gets a little bit grating. If you attenuate that muddiness, you may feel less of a need for that much resonance.

At 2:40, you can hear the cymbal being very distant. That's a sign that this track is being pushed too loudly and getting somewhat overcompressed.

The source usage is a little basic. You basically repeat the same 12 notes for well over half the track. At 3:35, there's the first sign of any sort of usage of filter automation, even though most trance I've heard loves to have that. It's mainly because it's a prime source of variation and helps to keep the listener's interest, even with a stale beat such as this.

Speaking of the drums, they are definitely on autopilot for most if not all of the track. Add some meaningful variations, and don't just copy/paste the same four-on-the-floor pattern throughout the whole song. It's not a bad thing per se, but at the same time it's not a good thing either.

I don't mind the ending, but I'd sure like the muddiness to be addressed. The arrangement could be passable, if the repetition issues are looked into. The repetition and the muddiness are the two major issues for me.

Well. Thank you. In fairness to these terminology, I'm not really full understaind this. But thank you notes. As for smearing - I do not pleased with this, because it very clearly is expressing it to mp3 format. I do not know music theory or mixing techniques, and usually just rely on their hearing. And learning that helps me to learn music. I regret of course, about that at the time did not go to music school, but learning - never too late.

Thank you for your constructive critic.

Edited by flashvanslyer