The Walking Dead, Season Two: All That Remains (Spoilers)

The Damned

As this is a new game with massive character and plot reveals, be warned:

SPOILERS AHEAD

It came out a few days ago, so some of us must have played it by now. The first part, "All That Remains," starts with Clementine, the secondary character from the first game.

Suffice to say, Telltale Games sucker punches the fuck out of you with the first scene. God damn, you, TT Games.

There were two scenes that genuinely made me feel bad.

The first one involved that dog you encounter near the river. I realize now that no matter what choice you make, that dog is going to attack you. What does matter is how you deal with the dog after it attacks you. I had to pause the game to figure it out. I finally choose to put the dog out of its suffering. It may have been an unprovoked attack, but not even that dog deserved to suffer. Fucking brutal.

The second is a required action, so there's no illusion of choice. You have to do it. Clicking on the action to have Clem clean and stitch her own wound was nearly unbearable. I know she had to do it, and I know she's a fictional character, but fuck me, I cringed at each stitch she pushed through her own skin. When she almost passed out from pouring the hydrogen peroxide on the dog, I was about ready to quit. That's just wrong.

Not to mention the assholes she ends up meeting, how they treat her, how they lock her up in a shed, only to force her to break out, steal medical supplies, treat herself, and still manage to fend off a walker by herself. These people are almost entirely assholes and I'm hoping at least four of them die horribly. I even started to make Clem tell them off after that whole shed ordeal. Ask the pregnant woman how the father really is. Tell the guy with the rifle he's a fucking idiot. Tell the doctor he's a jackass. Snarky, yes. Safe, no. Justified. You're damn right.

And that's just the first of five episodes for this game. Four more, and then we might have a third season. Telltale is becoming one of my favorite companies. They've brought back the old point-and-click games, and made them varied and interesting.

How about you guys? What choices did you make? Who did you go to help in the end? And most important of all... what are you expecting in the next episode?