Time Stretching in FL to match bpm

Could somebody explain to me how to time stretch properly in fl studio? I'm new to this and I've tried a ton of different methods. All I'm trying to do is matchup a song with a simple beat that I've made. My project tempo is 128 bpm and I'm not entirely sure what the bpm of the song is. I've tried auto detecting the bpm and entering a bpm range or trying to turn the time stretch knob until it matches up but I just can't quite get it perfectly. What is the usual way to do this kind of thing? If it helps I can take a screenshot or upload what it sounds like right now.

What I do is sequence in just a simple four-on-the-floor kick pattern as a metronome, detect the approximate tempo, locate the first four measures of the song (not the first four bars in FL, the first four measures in the song's writing itself), and make sure that that lines up with the first four bars in FL and every significant transient lines up with the start of each bar. Sometimes using "Fit To Tempo" doesn't work for me.

Edited by timaeus222