Underground recording studios

alfredofreak

Interesting article from Curbed LA: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/inside_the_underground_world_of_las_home_recording_studios.php

Is zoning is only an issue if you have a commercial studio then? What exactly constitutes a commercial studio? Are you in the clear if you just have a one-man production based out of your house? Are there issues if you have a buddy come over and collaborate on an album you're both going to make money from? This is something my inexperienced self has honestly never heard about before.

As far as I know, commercial studios are generally just "official" (I suppose "government-approved") buildings made specifically for recording. That's the most pre-school way to say it, but I suck at being descriptive.

Actually, here in Tennessee, a large amount of recording studios are in houses now. My father has a recording studio. And by "recording studio", I don't mean just like me, where I've got some decent music equipment and maybe ⅓ of my room is made into a recording studio. I mean like an entire room or basement or ¼ of the house transformed into a studio, like the pictures in that article. And there's a lot of those, now.

Of course, if you end up making the recording studio in your house too large, from what I've been told, you actually have to get permission from the government. There's a studio I used to be at a bit called Dark Horse Studios and it's had its name on some famous albums, probably mainly country albums, since, ya know, this is Nashville. But the studio is huge and has plenty of parts now, but I think originally a guy build it completely over his house. Like his house is connected to the entire studio, from what I remember.

Anyway, if some guy comes over to collaborate on a record, I think it'd be just like any other situation. He makes some of the money from the album and so do you. I don't know much about all that marketing stuff, but I'm pretty sure the studio has nothing to do with collaboration, if I'm reading your statement correctly.

Also, sorry if I totally failed to answer anything correctly. I skimmed through the article, so