Interesting article on repetition & musicality

Nase

http://aeon.co/magazine/altered-states/why-we-love-repetition-in-music/

Could've also posted it in gen disc or even philosophy, but the content instantly inspired some thoughts about music making so in here it goes.

If tldr, at least be sure to listen to the two soundcloud examples (in correct order), they illustrate the gist of it very effectively.

Edited by Nase

It expands on this "everything is music" cliche doesn't it. In a meaningful way.

Rock, Metal, Electro, it all used to be noise at some point. Until human perception started to embrace its patterns.

Gives me that nice image of an infinity of other musical sounds and styles we can pull out of the noise over time. Being in the now, there's always this tendency to consider most of the map explored, and to view most of what's left unexplored as not worth exploring ("cuz it sounds shite!" :) )

That's why things like that article are very refreshing to me. As perception shifts, everything else follows.

It also probably ties neatly into the subject of atonal music. To the uninitiated it will just sound like a cacophony of random notes, when in fact it adheres to some pretty strict principles. It's the knowledge of the structure and ability to discern and predict things that makes people appreciate the craftmanship of the music.

Everyone famous for something in music hates the term they're famous for - it's like the first lesson you learn when you try to convince people you're deep and serious instead of just pretentious and arrogant. My Chemical Romance hates being called "emo", minimalist composers hate being called "minimalist", Green Day hates being called "pop punk", Lady Gaga hates being called "pop", etc. etc. They all insist their music has no genre or labels to put on it.

YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE.

Everyone famous for something in music hates the term they're famous for - it's like the first lesson you learn when you try to convince people you're deep and serious instead of just pretentious and arrogant. My Chemical Romance hates being called "emo", minimalist composers hate being called "minimalist", Green Day hates being called "pop punk", Lady Gaga hates being called "pop", etc. etc. They all insist their music has no genre or labels to put on it.

YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE.

That's it, I'm reclassifying my entire music library to having the genre of "serious".

Onto a serious note: c wut aye did thur

does this give anyone else ideas on how to incorporate unusual things into their music in a "musical" fashion (I use 'musical' loosely because, as this article shows, our brains creates the illusion of musicality in some instances)?

Also, I have the voice loop from the article stuck in my head. At this point she's definitely singing, it's not spoken word anymore.

Edited by Anorax