Cyber Mower (Lawnmower Man)

APZX

So, the game itself is a movie licensed title that is a lot like Contra, at least the SNES version is. Anyway, I always kind of liked the music in the game for some reason and I could never really come up with a way to re-interpret it that I liked. Then in a serious flash of inspiration I came up with the terribly named, Cyber Mower (linky).

The track is based on the first few level's music,

Anyway, I personally feel that it might be too interpretive and liberal with the source so to speak. Would love to hear some thoughts on it though.

Just saw you had a post of your own so now that I've got a minute, thought I'd return the favor :-)

I'm not in my studio so I'm listening on headphones. Not the same as the studio, but I can still get a good feel for it on headphones.

I heard the track maybe 5 times to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have zero experience with this game but I heard the original for reference.

I definitely like yours better right off the bat for it's higher fidelity audio. But the original definitely has a feel that is ahead of its time. Tons of movement.

I like the way you introduce the kick slowly after playing the intro bass line of the original. At first, you're not sure it's there, but you're inexplicably bobbing your head and then you realize, the kick just arrived. Nice touch.

Interestingly enough, I have a gripe with your hat sample (and not because you didn't like my snare, I promise, haha). Your kick has a certain quality to it (which I like) but the hat doesn't feel like it's in the same "league", if you know what I mean. Perhaps raise the attack time just a tad and add a minuscule amount of reverb?

It sounds ok later in the track once everything else is playing full blast, but when it is more isolated (like when it is first introduced) it sounds a bit off. Maybe a slight reduction in velocity when it is first introduced would do the trick too.

The rise at 4:10 can probably use a bit of washing or blending to lead into the chorus again nicely. It sounds a bit too sudden despite the quickening riser.

Other than that, I enjoyed the track. Cool bell sound too. It felt like something I'd hear in a Mega Man game or Gradius III (since I never played Lawnmower Man). And I totally dig the fast decay sawtooth arpeggios in the background. Takes me back to better days. There are some parts where this has a disco feel to it, some where it sounds like straight VG music, and some where it is more ambient. I like the changes in pace so no gripe there.

I'd say the best asset of this track is that it has enough movement to avoid going stale so good job.

The Lawnmower Man game is a strange thing to try and describe. Just better give a

rather than to try and describe it honestly.

You know, that kick was actually a gamble for me. It has a really powerful, clicky, transient with a short but very controlled sustain. All I did to it was a 40Hz 2dB low shelf lift with a 30Hz HPF. Normally, I'm all about the longer kicks. Funny you mention the fade in. It is an old classic technique, just using volume. I made a lot of Trance, up until about 3 yrs ago and gained some tricks as it were to introduce things. That particular introduction happens to be one of them. Sometimes looking back can inspire.

The hat though, I think I may get what you're saying (though it does have reverb on it, in fact all the drums have reverb, yes even the kick). I wonder if it might be because the hat's sustain goes to the right a bit? See, I was actually worried that if I put in my typical sort of hat that I might be pushing the transients too harshly and wanted to contrast it a bit with something slightly softer. That could perhaps be it too.

That last transition I actually agree with you, mostly. I wanted it to be slightly jarring because the original track always had this, off-putting quality to it. So, I thought that rather than having say a big push of noise or reverb it would be more fitting to just suddenly have everything going. Not all ideas pan out though :neutral: But I do agree, mostly.

I like the bell sound too ;) Thanks for the listen though, really appreciate it.