Build That Wall (Bastion) Waltz Style

Touchstone

Yes, I've been active on the forums lately, but that's besides the point. I've decided to put the other two ReMixes on infinite hiatus, just until I feel more adept at those two pieces. (Translation: They're really difficult to get right.)

Anyways, here's a pure piano ReMix of "Build That Wall" from Bastion. I tried to get a more waltz style out of this mix, and except for 2 times where the time signature changes to 4/4, it is in a compound meter. I tried a few different techniques with this one, which is mainly mastering. Anyways, enough blathering, here's the link!

Build Waltz: https://soundcloud.com/touchsoundmusic-1/building-waltz

• 3 weeks later...

Alight, let's see...

Right now I'm going to be talking from a purely production viewpoint because I'm entirely unfamiliar with the source.

First thing you might want to work on is humanization, because this sounds very mechanical. You want to have more expression written into the piece, portions where it gets louder or quieter for emphasis (or louder or quieter in general, but certainly not at random). I think the first step right now would be to sit down and look at your velocity values and decide where the song needs to be louder or quieter, whether or not a chord needs extra emphasis or not, and then change the velocity accordingly. Good luck